Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6 Freezing Immediately Upon Loading - for One User Profile

• Please log in to reply

tony awards

tony awards

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am having serious trouble with IE6: freezing up, occasionally at first, but now, as soon as a page (almost) loads, it will completely freeze, every time. I have to kill it with Task Manager, and then restart – but it happens again, etc.

What’s odd (as if that isn’t enough) is that this is a shared (2-user) computer, and it is happening only in MY user profile, not the other one. The other user experiences only the standard very occasional freeze, but on my side IE6 is basically dead and gone for now…

Both sides have full admin privileges, and though I install most of the software from my side, access is granted everywhere. Nothing really odd has been installed lately…
Also, I have FF2.x and if I use that to browse – no problems at all, so I guess that means the connection is ok (I just set up a wireless network and the problems arose about 24 hrs afterwards).

I have already:
Run and rerun NOD32, AdAware, Spybot, Spyware Terminator, BeClean, defragmented, used a remote Symantic virus analysis, manually emptied the temp files etc etc in Internet Options.

System data:
· XP Pro SP2, with all current MS updates correctly installed and up-to-date
· 80GB drive, 51% full, but - the HP recovery partition D:drive does have only 14% free (and therefore will not allow itself to defrag). Can this be it? It has been at this capacity for some time though with no problems.
· 1GB RAM, AMD 2.01GHz processor

Unfortunately – I do not have the system disks available (packed away during a move) and I can’t figure out how to try to repair and/or reinstall IE6 in XP without them. All the info I’ve found for that requires the OS disks at hand.

I have been through the Event Manager and it doesn’t really tell me anything I can understand, except that the app has frozen numerous times in a row, but I am not savvy enough to read all the code in the results there.

Any ideas out there (besides switching full time to FireFox…)?? I need some help here.

Thanks everyone.

Tony

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi tony awards! Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Since IE works for the other user but not you, it's more likely something is wrong with your Windows User Account. The easiest fix is to create a new account for you and copy all the documents and settings from the old one to the new one.

To create a new user account:
  • Go to Control Panel.
  • Click User Accounts tool.
  • Select the Create A New Account link.
  • Give the account a name and click Next.
NOTE: Ensure that the account type is Computer Administrator (You can see the option button displayed in the process.)
  • Click Create Account button.
  • Reboot the computer. Log in with the new user account. This will create the user folder under Docs & Settings.
  • Reboot the computer and log in with an administrative user account that is neither the new or the old. You can press Ctrl+Alt+Del at the Welcome Screen to open the classic log-in shell. Type in Administrator as the user. This is the default Administrator user account that is created when Windows is installed. The password may be blank. Or type in the name for the 2nd user you mentioned.
  • As a back-up, copy the the entire user folder for the old user account under Documents and Settings to the desktop.
  • Right-click My Computer and select Properties.
  • Select the Advanced tab.
  • Click the Settings button in the User Profiles section.
  • Select the user account that was corrupted.
  • Click the Copy To button.
  • Click the Browse button and then browse to Documents and Settings, and select the new account.
If you do this part wrong and copy the profile from the new account to the old account, you will delete all the settings and everything out of the My Documents folder for the old account.

Manually copying profile: http://support.micro....com/kb/811151/

Please post the results.

tony awards

tony awards

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hey there.

I hope this helps: I'm sending along in advance the generated HiJackThis log file. Copied and pasted here. Thank you all again!

Tony Awards

Edited to remove HJT log.

Edited by LindaGail, 26 June 2007 - 05:48 AM.

tony awards

tony awards

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This actually makes sense! I'm gonna give it a go, but after I get some sleep so I don't mess it up. Will post tomorrow with the results.

Thank you very much for such a quick response.

Tony

tony awards

tony awards

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry that it took so long (sometimes life does get in the way of work), but I am finally able to get back to you with the news that the IE6 freezes appear to be over. I recreated my user profile manually as per your MS instructions:

http://support.micro....com/kb/811151/

and also

http://support.micro....com/kb/313055/

(until about 6AM PDT), as you had originally suggested, and it’s been running well now for over 2 hours. I’ve thrown every graphically dense site at it that I could, and so far, no crashes. May it please continue.

I’m having to fix several settings that apparently didn’t make it through to the new profile, but I can live with that.

Why a profile gets corrupted, how you can usually tell, etc, is beyond me – but it does appear that this was the fix.

Thank you Linda, for all your input, and for putting up with my ‘e x t e n s i v e’ post. You’re a lifesaver!

Tony

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Good to hear and glad to help!!!