Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem with Explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply

Diminished to be

Diminished to be

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi I have an annoying problem with Windows Explorer, it constantly crashes and the error reporting dialog box appears... I have had this problem before but I am unsure on what is causing it this time. I have removed 6 entries of spyware using Spybot S&D which sorted out a problem I had with Winlogon.exe taking 95-99% of my CPU. Now when I run Spybot it comes out clean so I’m thinking it may be a virus. I have previously had Norton Internet Security with antivirus and firewall 2004 which to be honest was incredibly unreliable I then switched to Norton Internet Security 2007 which proved to be just as unreliable!. The thing that pisses me off about it is that sometimes you will turn on your pc and see that Norton is disabled and there is an 'unknown error'... massive help... I then tried Mcafee which for some reason would not install properly! Even after removing any program that may be conflicting with it, it also would not uninstall so I had to do that manually which was really annoying. Now I’m trying to reinstall NIS but it makes my PC really slow and I cant bare to use one that is so slow. So the thing is I could do with some help with my Explorer.exe problem or do you know of any more reliable antivirus programs I could try. Oh by the way I am currently using AVG free anti-virus program which i installed yesterday. Three or four Trojan horses were detected which were supposedly cleaned...

Thanks for any help

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Please go to the Malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Instructions to do before posting in the malware fourm.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

Also if you want to learn how to fight malware with us. Check out This Thread.

Diminished to be

Diminished to be

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, i have followed the guide you directed me to, I found loads of viruses and spyware. I forgot to save the report on one of the programs but luckily i wrote down what viruses were detected with the programs...

These were detected by AVG AntiSpyware 7.5
Dropper.Delf.xo
Backdoor.Hupigon
Not-A-Virus.Monitor.Win32.perflogger.ad
Proxy.Agent.kj
Not-A-Virus.Monitor.Win32.perflog.al
Logger.Perflogger.ab
Adware.LookMe
Logger.Perflogger.i

(16 files) ^^

I then ran the online Panda spyware program which removed a further 3 these were..

Adware:adware/statblaster (not disinfected)
Virus:Trj/SpaBot.AI (disinfected)
Virus:Generic Trojan (disinfected)

Then using SUPERAntiSpyware
Adware.Tracking Cookie (5 entries)

Then with AVG AntiVirus these were detected

Trojan horse Downloader.Agent.9.P (C:\WINDOWS\system32\systemr.exe)
Trojan horse Proxy.LOC (C:\Documents and settings\Chris\Local Settings\Temp\~DP23.exe)
Trojan horse Proxy.LOC (C:\Documents and settings\Chris\Local Settings\Temp\~DP23.exe)
Trojan horse PSW.Perfloger.C (C:\WINDOWS\system32\systemhk.dll)

The thing is my Winlogon problem (which I dont think i previouly mentioned has been sorted, but the Windows explorer problem is worse as as soon as i boot up my pc, the error occurs that Windows Explorer has encountered an error even when I am not using Windows Explorer!. Now everytime i start my PC i also get a windows script error and sometimes i get the 'restore my active desktop' after clicking yes/no.

Thanks for any help you may provide

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It looks like you do have a bit of malware. Please follow step five in those instructions. Step five has you post a log in the malware forums. Because I am in training I can't help with malware issues just yet.