Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

video card/game problem

• Please log in to reply

higby88

higby88

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have a gateway 500xl with 2.6 gig Processor, 1gb Ram, and a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb Graphics card. i am trying to play a game (age of empires III) which requires a 64 mb card but the graphics seem "wavy" i guess you could say with some other incosistencies. Not sure what to do since it seems that I have more than enough juice to power such a game. A friend said to try :

1. Lowering the video settings
2. getting the newest driver for the card
3. Getting the newest patch for the game.

Not sure it these could be possibilities or how to lower the video settings.... hope someone can help. thanks

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Your friend was right.

I would try lowering the video settings, as they may be set too high for your PC. Enter the game, look for options, video, and video quality. Set the option(s) to a lower level.

Next, it it's still not helping, download drivers for your card from here. Follow the instructions and install the drivers. Restart your computer and launch the game again. See if you can play it now.