Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

tom10

tom10

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I'm using the internet, when I first perform a search the computer freezes for about 4 minutes after hitting the "go" button. Then, the search goes through and I get the list of websites that correspond with my search request. This happens no matter what webpage I happen to be on when I perform my first search. However, there are no delays on subsequent searches unless I disconnect from the internet (I have a dial up connection) and log on again. Also - and I don't know if this is related or not, for some reason I have about 1000 different "DLL" files in my windows folder (possibly more), and another 1000 in my windows system folder. There is no reason for there to be so many - I suspect foul play from a unknown virus or spy/malware - but it might be related. Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
1000? 1000? That is an awful lot on a windowsme system, but I would be wary of removing them unless you knew which were good and which we bad....

Likewise, four minutes is a long time...I wonder if you're infected with a search redirector (I guess that is what you call it). These interesting forums of hijackers filter your searches through their computers where they are recorded, and then forward them to legitimate search engines of use their own and make them look like legitimate....

Normally, malware are handled in another forum, but I am unsure that is the issue.

Why don't you post a hijackthis log here....it is in the downloads section of this site