Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

E Machine that won't post

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I rescued an E Machine from the recycle bins just for parts. Before starting to take it apart, I wondered if it would boot up. It doesn't post. First what makes it an E machine as opposed to any other pc? I know the power is good, everything looks clean, nice looking HS/Fan Athlon processor DVD writer. Can this system be rescued or should I could back to plan A, salvaging parts?

Edited by Janis, 10 April 2005 - 11:30 PM.

Advertisements

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
For your first question, Emachines are a value computer. By this I mean that, for someone who doesnt want to spend alot of money on a computer for just basic needs would most likely buy one of these computers. Most of the time they come with a Celron/Durnron CPUs.

Now for the problem, it could be that someone messed up a BIOS update. But since I dont have the chance to look at the computer, this is my best guess. Head over to there website to see if there is a way to reload the orgrinal BIOS. The only motherboard that allows for a crash free BIOS is Asus. Or you can also try another motherboard from a different computer. Also check the RAM. Hope that this helps.

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
It might look clean, but does it have any ram in it?

Check all the jumpers etc, make sure it's configured with all peripherals disconnected, including the hard disk; then try to get a post beep.

If you tried everything, then it could be power supply, mainboard, cpu or ram fault, or possibly all of the above.

See: Lightning :tazz:

Edited by Congo, 11 April 2005 - 09:46 AM.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
No say id just mess around with the basics see how it goes if not use it for spares really