Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Home Edition Stops Loading...HELP!

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi foks...

I have this Dell computer (a friends BTW) that has XP home edition, and yes I have the CD that came with the computer. The CD title reads "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1."

Ok, what is happening is that I get through your basic XP loading screen, but when it gets to the 2nd LOGO screen (the tri-level blues with the Windows XP logo and the orange and white lines are usually moving across the screen) it just sits there and I can go no farther. It is like it is frozen. My mouse works and that is about it.

So...here is what I have done so far.

1) Tried booting into SafeMode...same results as above

2) Tried "Last Known Good Config"....same results as above

3) Tried booting into Safe Mode with command prompt. I wanted to try this so I could get to my restore mode.
Anyhow, it wouldn't even give me a command prompt at all...it just booted right back into Safe Mode and tried to
load like normal...naturally with the same results as above.

4) Went into my BIOS and changed boot order so I could boot fromt the CDand use the REPAIR utility. This went ok, but during the whole process there were tons of error messages that popped which I don't know what any of them meant, plus why would that happen in a repair mode anyhow???? Well, after about 30-40 minutes it completed and when I did the final re-boot, back to the same thing...it got to the blue screen and froze.

I really don't want to lose this persons files, so that is why I went the repair route.

Any ideas for this frustrated boy????

Thank You,
daddy

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click this for a guide to using Memtest

Click this to download Memtest

Run it overnight if possible