Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File/folder problem

• Please log in to reply

gUzAnO

gUzAnO

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
ok, i'm kind of desperate, so i just turned into where i know i can get some help.

I have 2 files that won't delete, it keeps saying "file is in use or it's protected" I can change the folder and subfolder names, even i can change the files names, but they won't delete.

I tried to use HJT but it didn't deleted either (option delete on reboot). The single folder weights 700 MB and the files from 11 to 15 kb each. Even though when i use the right click - properties of the whole partition disk, it says it has 6,90 free space from 9,99. All of the contents into this partition weights 1.5 Gb (aprox) so where are thos 2 GB left?!!

the files are:

Flash9c.ocx -> Control ActiveX
FlashUtilityc.exe -> Adobe Flash Player Helper 9.0... Adobe Systems, Inc.

IF they are in use how it's posible that i can rename, First, the folder they are on, and second, the file itself!

Please help me i'm desperate!! i need that space and formatting is not an option.

Also, i have a problem with the "Tools" menu. i don't know why but the option "Folder Options" keeps dissappearing from the menu, so i have to create a new user, and copy/paste all of my files by a 3rd user on the same PC. Any clues with this??

Greetings.

Advertisements

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
Try this - http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

gUzAnO

gUzAnO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I'll try this and let you know how was it.

later...

gUzAnO

gUzAnO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
i was able to unlock it... BUT it says that it won't be deleted after a new reboot.

i'll keep you posted on my new reboot.

tx

Percey

Percey

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Have you tried going into the folder and deleting just the files then the whole folder... Like you would go into the folder, hit Ctrl+A then hit delete, then go out of the folder and try to delete it.

gUzAnO

gUzAnO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I tried that percey, still not working... now i rebooted and nothing happened, the files are still there BUT now they only weight 2.xx MB.

The Unlocker helped me to delete most files that are "hidden" BUT, when i enable the option "SHOW all files" under the tools -> folder options menu, they still won't show.

well i can't delete the entire folder nor the sub or the sub-sub or the sub-sub-sub or even the files themselves.

What can i do now? please i need assistance :whistling:

Looking forward for any answers any of you may have.

tx..

Greetings

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Have you tried using SHIFT+Del on the files / folders?

Have you tried deleting the files from a command prompt window?

Do you know what process is using the files?

Edited by jaxisland, 03 July 2007 - 01:13 PM.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
To get to the hidden files and get them to show, try http://www.explorerxp.com/. I had the same problem in Explorer (wouldn't show some of the hidden filess) and Explorerxp showed all hidden files when set to do so. Then perhaps unlocker will unlock and remove them.

gUzAnO

gUzAnO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Have you tried using SHIFT+Del on the files / folders?

Have you tried deleting the files from a command prompt window?

Do you know what process is using the files?

Yes i've tried shift+delete and yes i've tried deleting them from prompt window.

No i don't know what process is using the files..

Thanks matofthemyth i'll try, but still got no solution at all for my problem. :/

Greetings.

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
Do the following.

Click Start > Run > type "cmd" without the quotes.

After Command Prompt comes up, type "chkdsk /f" without the quote. I assumed that the file is in your C:\.

gUzAnO

gUzAnO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Do the following.

Click Start > Run > type "cmd" without the quotes.

After Command Prompt comes up, type "chkdsk /f" without the quote. I assumed that the file is in your C:\.

Nopes, the files are in the 2nd partition of my Secondary Slave device.

BTW my partition table is as follows:

- Primary Master: 4 Partitions (20 GB each)
- Primary Slave: 1 Partition (20 GB)
- Secondary Master: CD-ROM unit
- Secondary Slave: 4 partition (10 GB each)

I'm not doing what you said, until i know that it's safe to do it. (Files on another partition/disc).

Thanks anyway :whistling:

Looking forward.

PD: i forgot to mention that there was a former WINDOWS XP install on the secondary slave, that's why i have those FLASH files, but i made a fresh install of the flash ActiveX in the new WINDOWS FOLDER (C:\Windows)

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
For another partition, I'm not sure where your files are stored. Thus, please do the following.

Chkdsk D: /f

I put the above as D drive, if your files are in F drive, E drive or G drive, then just change the D: to whatever drive you want to.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try deleting them while in safe mode...
another trick that sometimes works is to make a new folder and drag and drop the other folder into the new one and then delete the new folder...

gUzAnO

gUzAnO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

For another partition, I'm not sure where your files are stored. Thus, please do the following.

Chkdsk D: /f

I put the above as D drive, if your files are in F drive, E drive or G drive, then just change the D: to whatever drive you want to.

OK, i tried what you said, and it says it's in use, so if i want to dismount it i said, on reboot.

did you try deleting them while in safe mode...
another trick that sometimes works is to make a new folder and drag and drop the other folder into the new one and then delete the new folder...

Haven't tried that one, i will on next reboot as same as the above option.

Thanks, i'll keep you posted.

Greetings.

XslauGt8

XslauGt8

• Pip
  • 1 posts
gg Adobe.

I've come across this problem several times now, first few times frustrated me no end. Now, all I do is move the two files to a folder somewhere else, rename them deleteme & deleteme2 (no extension). Then just delete as per normal. But unless I move & rename them, it's useless.