Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Spyware winning

• Please log in to reply

canesfan4369

canesfan4369

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, Let me start this off by saying that I am new to this and I apologize for any mistakes I make in forum etiquette, but I don't know where else to go.

I have been trying to clean up the spyware on my father-in-law's computer for two days and I don't know what else to try. It started out that he was getting inordinate amounts of pop-ups and the computer was running very slow. I installed yahoo popup blocker and that helped some, then I did a disk cleanup and that made it run a little faster. I then tried to install Spybot Search & Destroy to remove the spyware and that's when the fun started. As soon as I get to any webpage regarding spyware removal, Internet Explorer shuts down (it just erases from the top of the page downward). I tried to use other spyware removal programs, and whenever I get to a "threatening " page, it closes it.

I thought I could trick it by burning the spybot files to a CD and then loading onto the computer. As soon as I opened the Spybot directory, the window erased just like IE (line by line from the top down). I then renamed the files Kevin S&D (removing the Spybot from the equation) and I was able to copy the files to the computer, but when I clicked the executable file and it started to run Spybot, the computer locked up.

I do not have a hijackThis log because when as soon as I get to this site the computer locks up, and I cannot even download.

Whatever this is, it still works fine for internet activity, as long as there is nothing regarding spyware.

If I am in the wrong place, I apologize, and would appreciate a point in the right direction.

Thank you, and sorry for the length,

Kevin

Advertisements

didom

didom

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
Hi can you please transfer HijackThis to a floppy, cd or USB-DISK and then do this:

Reboot Your System in Safe Mode:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Options menu appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Safe Mode menu item.
  • Press the Enter key.
Then copy HijackThis to your desktop (or you can make a folder like C:\HJT and put it in there).

Start HijackThis, perform a scan and save the log file.

Use the Add Reply button to post your new log back here along with details of any problems you encountered performing the above steps and I will review it when it comes in.