Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Thunderbird, Norton, and attachments problem

• Please log in to reply

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I have Comcast e-mail and use Thunderbird 1.5.0.12; I also have Norton Internet Security 2004.

As of June 29, I have not been able to send any e-mails containing attachments (last successful sending of an attachment was on June 17). I get a message that the mail was sent successfully but it never arrives at its destination. I have checked junk/spam mail folders, and it is not there. I also tried disabling outgoing message scanning, but it makes no difference. No attachments can be sent, regardless of file type, size, or number of attachments per e-mail.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What sort of attachments are they, bearing in mind most providers won't let you send executable files.
This is more likely a provider issue.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Hi Neil, thanks for your reply.

The attachments had the extensions .doc, .txt, .bmp, and .jpg, all of which I had successfully been able to send in the past. When I tried sending them using Comcast webmail, there was no problem. But I couldn't send them using Thunderbird. I can receive the attachments if I send them to my Comcast address from another e-mail address. So the problem is not with receiving attachments in general, just attachments sent from my Comcast address through Thunderbird.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try it through Outlook Express just to eliminate an issue with Thunderbird.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I just tried both Outlook Express and Outlook, and neither of them have the problem.

CelestialTeardrop

CelestialTeardrop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
I just got a chance to test the issue on my computer, and it seems to have resolved itself. I'm guessing that it was a glitch over at Comcast with their spam filters, causing all attachment-containing emails with Thunderbird code to be blocked. Someone must have caught it and fixed it, and hopefully such a problem will not happen again.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, Neil!