Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

freezing, crashing and fps lag

• Please log in to reply

ptrk

ptrk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys I recently got a new HDD installed, an extra 512mb stick of ram, new mobo and CPU, new PSU, etc. Anyways, it's a fresh install of windows, and i've started to expierence problems. Sometimes I'd be in a game, and for no reason it would freeze, and the sound would skip for like 5 seconds, then the computer would go to a blue screen saying something about an error, I don't remember what exactly the blue screen said but I remember something about kernel? kernel32.dll? and another time it said something like sysapi.something - don't remember :whistling: Anyways it would go to the blue screen, then it would restart itself. After it restarted the bios startup screen would appear, and the part where it says "Primary Master" and "Primary Slave" would show something completely random, like just a bunch of different letters. Then it would go to a new page, and have another error message. Anyways it did this recently, and after this happened the monitor wouldn't come on at all, I would turn the power on the computer but the monitor wouldn't display anything so I removed the old ram stick, and the monitor started working properly again. Anyways now the computer is really really fps laggy, when loading applications like firefox or doing scans of any sort the mouse will lag, sometimes even freeze. In games the sound is all fuzzy, and the game is really fps laggy and glitchy, like every few seconds it will skip, it's hard to explain :blink: Sorry that I couldn't give any better descriptions :help: any help would be great, thanks everyone.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
For all practical purposes this is a new computer. have the hardware installation been done by someone who knows how to do this? What old parts did you install?

Please do the following:

1: Remove the old parts and leave the new parts only.

2: Make sure that the heatsink sits tightly and aquarely on the cpu. If you used an old heatsink I hope that thermal paste was applied on cleaned up surfaces between the cpu and the heatsink.

3: Clear the BIOS: disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer.
Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button).
Keep it out for about 20 minutes. Reinstall in the reverse order and reboot. You will probably
get a checksome error. If you do, enter BIOS by pressing del or F2 repeatedly when starting
the computer until BIOS tables show up. Set time and date, save the new values and let the
computer boot. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS.
You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button.
Look for what key you have to press to enter setup.

4: If all the above don't help reformat the new hard disk and do a complete new installation of Windows and drivers. I don't see much point in trying to repair the old (practically new) windows installation.