Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista and IE 7.0 Compatibility Issues for certain sites

• Please log in to reply

StunninglyPoised

StunninglyPoised

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am hoping someone might be able to help me with this.

I have Vista and IE 7.0. One of the websites I need to access does not support anything but IE 6.0. I found a "user string agent utility" that reports the site as 6.0 for the website I need to access. That works great, except the website also will not work off of java(sun), only Microsoft VM. When I try disabling my java(sun) in the advanced section of internet options, it will uncheck, but it never unchecks in the control panel.

Is there any way to fix this.

Any help anyone might have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Cassie

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Complain loudly to the owner of the site that you can't use it in Vista because there is no Microsoft VM support and it also refuses to work with the default browser supplied with Vista. If its a corporate/business site they will be losing out on potential customers. If its a private site you can tell them nicely but ultimately it'll be their loss.

With Firefox you can get an extension called "User Agent Switcher" which will spoof your Firefox to be IE6, but there will be no Microsoft VM for it. One has to wonder what the site is doing for a dependency on Microsoft VM considering it was abandoned by Microsoft, well, best part of five years ago now after they fell out with Sun over it.