Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I Need Help With Web Servers

• Please log in to reply

Macs Suck

Macs Suck

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am very good at computers and in web development and know how to build a website but I need help with web servers!

I want to host many websites, but am afraid that if I use an online hosting service that their servers might crash or something.

So, do I buy my own server and dedicate it to be a web server? How do I make it so that the server can be accsesed by other clients on the internet so they can view my websites?

What type of server should I buy?

HOW DO I DO IT!

Please answer back.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Owning a server is only part of the puzzle. Access to fast, cheap, reliable bandwidth is equally important. Even though you may have fast download speeds on a home connection, the upload speeds are probably very slow. Not enough for a server of any size.

Next is security. Servers are a big target for hackers. You need to have a secure setup, and keep it updated. I'd suggest you look at a shared hosting plan with a good host that will offer good support. Or, if you're set on having your own server, maybe somewhere like LiquidWeb.com where they'll also provide some management support.

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
A server can be any ol' computer, really.. I go to the computer liquidation warehouses and just build custom computers for under 60 bucks. I just started making a web of servers all in my room.. It gets very hot during summer, which reminds me: The number one problem I have ever had with servers is not hackers or power outages, however thermal shutdowns. Make sure to have tons of fans or other methods of cooling. You really don't have to dedicate a whole computer to be just a web server: There are these things called 'ports', that allow access to let's say port 80: http access. Or port 21, ftp access. Download Xampp (my choice), or regular Apache, this will get you setup for a website and later on more complicated things. Also: Unix for servers are a must.

I am very good at computers and in web development and know how to build a website but I need help with web servers!

I want to host many websites, but am afraid that if I use an online hosting service that their servers might crash or something.

So, do I buy my own server and dedicate it to be a web server? How do I make it so that the server can be accsesed by other clients on the internet so they can view my websites?

What type of server should I buy?

HOW DO I DO IT!

Please answer back.