Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ISAPNP.sys corrupt error on windows boor

• Please log in to reply

Percey

Percey

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello. I seem to be having a problem with the isapnp.sys file when I boot my laptop. Apparently the file is corrupt so I can't boot. I've looked through the Microsoft website and was told to use the windows repair console that comes with the CD to repair the file. When I attempt to use the command that replaces the isapnp.sys file, I get "Access is Denied" in the console. I think it may be because the console didn't ask me for an admin password so my system isn't validating me as admin. So I moved on and came up with the idea to burn the isapnp file to a CD by taking it from this computer that I'm on right now, but I can't boot my laptop into command prompt without going through windows first. I tried to use safe mode with command prompt but I still get the isa driver error. LKGC does nothing either because I still get the same error. Please help! I'd like to know what to do about the Access is Denied in the recovery console, or how to boot directly into command prompt without touching windows...The laptop has no floppy drive either...

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Before you reach recovery control you are prompted to choose windows installation. If you have only one windows installation you type 1 and then Enter. This takes you to another screen in which you are prompted to type administarator password and press Enter or just to press Enter if there is no password. After this the recovery console opens up.

Do you take all these steps? what happens when you reach the stage in which you have to type the password?

Percey

Percey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
To choose which windows installation to use recovery console on? I don't get a prompt at all before entering the console, windows just lets me in without validating

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Look at steps 3 and 4 in this article.

Percey

Percey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't have a dual/multiboot system though...Windows is on one drive, and recovery console still doesn't ask me if I want ot enter a password

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you specify the make and model of the laptop, please?

Percey

Percey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, its an HP Pavilion zd8000, it doesn't matter though I just wiped it.