Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring drivers etc..

• Please log in to reply

jrspie

jrspie

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi, Geeks,
I'm going to do a clean install of XP Pro.
If I understand the procedure properly, I can burn my files, such as Firefox and Antivir, to a CD and be able to just install them from the CD without any special techniques. Or?????
If the above is really just that easy, then my question is how do I install my drivers and system settings?
I'm hoping somebody can steer me in the right direction where I can find some step by step info.
I'm very non-tech inclined but can usually follow directions.
Thanks.
jrspie

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
uh...no...you can't copy a program that's installed on your PC over to a cd then install them back...you could copy some of the settings for these programs...if you know where these settings are stored and assuming they're not stored in the registry....

you can copy documents and other files like that...such as music, videos, pictures etc..

a good program for copying your drivers is drivergenius (google it)...it will allow you to backup all your non windows drivers so you can reinstall them after the format

if you're formatting your computer because it's having issues...i wouldn't backup your system settings....they might be part of the problem

jrspie

jrspie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Dsenette,
Thanks for your reply and the info.
The drivers I can take care of with the name you supplied.
But I'm confused about something.
I thought I had read that some of the programs available enable the user to copy the files and programs.
If I can't. then I'm stuck with having to download a fairly large number of programs.
Would you please explain this?
Thanks.
jrspie

Edited by jrspie, 03 July 2007 - 09:31 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you install a program on your computer...it puts alot of files in alot of places and usually modifies your registry...you could copy the program's folder over...but the program wouldn't work at all on the new computer....you can't just copy programs over...you have to install them on the compouter you want to use them on