Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access 2003

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

At work, we use an access database to track our computer inventory. I have created a report that shows a list of the computers, but I would love for this report to show the number of computers we have. I'm not sure if this is done on the report, the table, or both.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Magus!!!

I'd put that calculation in the report, in the Report Footer section.

Open the Report Footer section, add the field you want to count. Right click the field, choose Properties, on the All tab scroll to Running Sum. Open the drop down box and choose how you want the field to sum (Over All or Over Group).

To manually add a Running Sum field, add a Text Box, right click over it and choose Properties. The second field under the All tab is Control Source. Click the "build" button to the right to open the Expression Builder. The command is "count". I'd probably count the Autoid field, making the expression count[autoid]. You can count any text field in the detail line, though.

Hope that helps!

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
LindaGail:

I tried your two suggestions but must have been confused about something as I couldn't get either method to work. With the first method, I tried counting the Computer Name field. When I looked at the report, I saw the name of the first computer in our list as opposed to a total count. I told it to keep a running sum in "Properties" like you said though.

In the second method, I kept getting an error message on the formula. I was still trying to count the "Computer Name" field.

In the end, I wound up finding something in the Office Help documents. Hmm...not sure how I didn't see this before. I used =Count(*) to get it done.

Thanks for the help though...the confusion was on my part I'm sure.

Magus

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad you got the calculation to work!! I was using Access XP, as I no longer have access to Access 2003.