Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

svchost.exe application error at start-up

• Please log in to reply

jswage

jswage

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi - I have been experiencing the following error message for several weeks now:
"svchost.exe Application error: The instruction at "0x009a96bc" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be written. -->Click OK to terminate -->Click on CANCEL to debug the program".

It occurs everytime I boot up or restart my laptop. I will get this same message back to back about a dozen times. And after each occurence Windows asks me if I want to send an error report. If I say yes Windows advises that the error occurred because Windows prevented a data execution failure or something to that extent.
I ran a virus scan, spyware scan, and registry cleaner without any success. Any help in fixing this issue would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your help!

-Jswage

[email protected]

My system specs: Windows XP - Lenovo thinkpad T60series

Edited by jswage, 03 July 2007 - 10:36 PM.

Advertisements

gumby701

gumby701

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Mmm, without any backround on that specific STOP error, I would suggest doing a repair install on Windows XP...but there is probably a simpler method...Google is your friend :-P

jswage

jswage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Prior to getting the error message above I get the following error message:
"Data Execution prevention" for Process Win32 Generic Processes

I went into Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Settings -> Data Execution Prevention
and I unselected Win32 Generic Processes.

The error doesn't come up anymore, but now my internet runs very slow and times out frequently..... What to do?!?

gumby701

gumby701

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
tell me...do you have an HP printer or scanner?