Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Direct 3D Devices?

• Please log in to reply

LisaMN

LisaMN

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am not sure if I'm posting this in the right section or not so forgive me if I am in the wrong place! I was recently given a friends old computer which I want to use to play games as my current computer is pretty overloaded already. This new computer is a dell dimension 2350.

The first game I installed was the first Harry Potter game which installed and played fine. Then I got the most recent HP game and it wont even read the disk for that. I beleive it may be a bad disc because it wont play on either computer. I then tried to install the Lord of the Rings game which installed but would not play because it 'could not find any compatible direct 3D devices with the required capabilities'

What do I do to make it so I can play these games on the computer. There is also the small problem that the computer I want to use for games is not connected to the internet so if its a matter of updating drivers not sure how to go about that.

Thanks so much~
L

Edited by LisaMN, 04 July 2007 - 01:35 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most Dell machines use onboard graphics. These will not play Lord Of The Rings.

Depending on the Dell machine and type you have you may not be able to put a separate card in.

LisaMN

LisaMN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Is there a way for me to find out if I can change the graphic card...or if my current one can be upgraded?

Will I not be able to play any newer games or is it just certain ones?

Thanks
L

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
According to Dell's website for this model, there is no ability to add a separate graphics card. Well there is, but it would have to be a PCI one and these can be more trouble than they're worth, plus they're still not enough for some games.

http://support.dell....hov.htm#1101668 is a link to your main board. Upgrade ability is limited as is the case with most Dell computers.