Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows shuts itself down on startup

• Please log in to reply

Webby29

Webby29

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I am running XP on my laptop and it came up with an error that windows had shut down to prevent damage to my computer. This occurred before I reached the log in page. I tried to re-install windows and had just got to the welcome to your HP laptop page when the same error came up.

The error technical information is:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xC56B7F27, 0x00000001, 0xF74133B0, 0x00000000)

As re-installing windows has not fixed the problem is there anything else that I could try or is my laptop broken beyond repair?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The Stop 0x50 message indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause Stop 0x50 messages.

Therefore a spell with MemTest86 is in order.