Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Erratic Computer Behaviour

• Please log in to reply

youdelover

youdelover

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was attempting to watch videos on the internet yesterday when I received a message saying that to play this video file I would have to install the following software, It did not seem like a dangerous file but I was sceptical and saved it to my documents and scanned it using AVG. Nothing was found so I proceeded in installing the software, when the installation was finished I received a message from windows defender saying hazardous software was detected and to click to uninstall it, so I did and then I was prompted to restart my pc and I did.

Upon restarting the pc and entering my password I found myself dealing with a recurring error message saying “Windows Explorer had stopped working” and then “Windows is restarting” at first this just refreshed the screen and restricted access to the start menu, clicking functions and restarted the internet if it was open meaning it could not be accessed for more than a few seconds at a time. This continued happening even after a second restart and even when I launched it in safe mode and without an internet cable connected.

I scanned my system using AVG PRO and Spybot S&D. AVG came back clean but Spybot found 8 entries of some sort of registry key which I clicked fix and purge for, I thought after restarting then It would be fine but the message still came up and now It just comes up once and then the whole screen, icons and start menu don’t respond when clicked but the screen has not frozen because the clock still keeps going and keeps the right time.

I don’t know the name of the software that was installed because I deleted it from my system shortly after receiving the message from windows defender, before the message starting popping up. Windows defender said it was a type of Trojan horse but I don’t know its name as I did not write it down.

I don’t know what to do anymore, can this still be solved by myself or am I going to have to call a professional?

Thank you.

Advertisements