Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

suggestions for building my first computer

• Please log in to reply

Oscar Zeta Acosta

Oscar Zeta Acosta

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I'm looking into building a computer for the first time. I'm looking for a computer that is as cheap as possible while still being capable for gaming. I'm not looking for an ultra-high performance gaming machine, just something that can play games without any major issues. Any suggestions as to components?

These are the components I am thinking about using as of now:

GPU---Nvidia 7600 GT

Edited by Oscar Zeta Acosta, 11 July 2007 - 05:52 AM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You should look into AMD X2 processors. They are the better way to go for the a budget build. How low of a budget are we talking here?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Give us your budget and we could give you more information. Also do you have operating system preferences?
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Might I also suggest what games you want the system to be able to play, that could help us a bit with graphics card specs

Oscar Zeta Acosta

Oscar Zeta Acosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The OS would be XP, and the games would probably be real-time strategy. I dont have a strict budget, it can't be huge, but it doesn't have to be miniscule. I was actually wondering what a system like that would cost? Could I get a rough estimate?

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
My rough estimate is $700-$800. A 7600GT would be a good card for that kind of gaming.

Oscar Zeta Acosta

Oscar Zeta Acosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
$800 would be a good place to set my budget at, I would say.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Hi, I'm looking into building a computer for the first time. I'm looking for a computer that is as cheap as possible while still being capable for gaming. I'm not looking for an ultra-high performance gaming machine, just something that can play games without any major issues. Any suggestions as to components?

These are the components I am thinking about using as of now:

GPU---Nvidia 7600 GT

Yes, I'm going to say it - you are going to need more than just a graphics card to build a computer...

EDIT: So are you waiting for us to contibute some more suggestions for parts, then? Or are you going to look at what else you like, post, and then see what we say?

Edited by ruthandtroy, 07 July 2007 - 05:17 PM.

Oscar Zeta Acosta

Oscar Zeta Acosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Right now, I'm waiting for more suggestions. I'm just going to keep updating that first post as I make more decisions, based of your input.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Do you have a monitor, keyboard, OS and/or mouse?
James

Advertisements

Oscar Zeta Acosta

Oscar Zeta Acosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a keyboard, OS, and mouse. I need a monitor however. I'm thinking that I want 14-15", probably LCD, but not necessarily.

Oscar Zeta Acosta

Oscar Zeta Acosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sorry about the wait, I don't now how I forgot about your topic.
Anyways I'm going to suggest the same for you as I have everyone else, till we see the price cuts from Intel I don't want to suggest anything, these will be happening on the 22nd. We will likly stay with AMD as this is a stricter budget, but Intel may become possible. Do you plan on overclocking?
Also your going to be getting a larger LCD then that, 17" is the most commom smaller monitor right now.
James

Oscar Zeta Acosta

Oscar Zeta Acosta

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I dont plan to overclock.

A 17" LCD sounds good to me.

Xtense

Xtense

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Do you plan on playing games like Starcraft 2 and Supreme Commander or more like WC3, AoE 3?