Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

High pitched whine

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amps.)

Quote from your graphics card page, found here.

+3.3V@38A, +5V@40A, +12V1@22A, +12V2@24A, [email protected], [email protected], +5VSB@2A

Quote from your PSU page, found here.

As you can see, your power supply is under the minimum recommendation for that graphics card. Your card needs 26A and your PSU is putting out 24A. Don't forget this is the minimum, you should have a bit more headroom just to be on the safe side anyway.

Advertisements

Pyro636

Pyro636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
so then what PSU do u suggest?

Edited by Pyro636, 09 July 2007 - 08:16 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The combined amps on the 12V rail would equal 46A, meaning there is more then enough and that this is not his problem, thought the brand isn't a well know PSU brand. Lets try getting your computer to boot before we deal with the whinning. There will be either a 4 pin or 8 pin slot located on your motherboard near your CPU (many people forget to do this), have you plugged this is? Failure to do so will result in a under powered CPU. Next have you plugged in your PCI-e cabled into your GPU? have you plugged

I don't have enough time to go back and read all the posts, but can you remove the RAM as well as your hard drive to see if it'll boot into BIOS. If you still get the same issue, do you have another computer that you can test all your components in, namly your processor, because if you processor works on someone elses computer then your CPU is to blame (if you have someone elses known to work GPU).
I think we should deal with the whinning last, right now we need to get your computer to boot properly as I personally believe that is the first priority.

James

Pyro636

Pyro636

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
thanks for all your suggestions, ill try them all but just so u know ive fixed the whining.

EDIT: James thank you so much all i had to do was plug that pwer in the cpu!

the only problem is now that the system didnt auto detect my HDD, is this normal?

Edited by Pyro636, 09 July 2007 - 11:14 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
woops forgot to add them, sorry :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Not a problem ruthandtroy.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, can you not install the operating system?
James