Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE explorer won't download, firefox won't sign in

• Please log in to reply

needhelp34

needhelp34

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have two problems.

1) Internet Explorer won't download. It just times out, no matter where I'm trying to download from. I've never seen this before.

2) Firefox won't allow me to sign in to any sites (yahoo, facebook, etc.), although I can sometimes download in firefox. I also can't run any searches in Firefox. I also can't seem to download major programs in firefox (like a new version of internet explorer or hijack this). This creates some serious problems.

I deleted a couple things while trying to fix it through hijack this -- I was careful, but I'm hoping that i didn't delete something on or the other of these programs need to function properly. The other thing is that it says it cannot complete a genuine windows validation -- don't know what that is.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts

The other thing is that it says it cannot complete a genuine windows validation -- don't know what that is.

That is what tells whether or not your copy of Winows and the key used to install it is legit. We can not help you without a legitiment copy of Winodws.

needhelp34

needhelp34

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the reply. i have a legitimate copy of windows. i teach at a university, and when i got the computer, they installed windows on it. and there was no problem for a couple of months, but now i have the problems described above. (I'm away for the summer, otherwise I would just bring it in and give it to them and see if they could fix it.)

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Hopefully they just installed it using wrong CD key. If you are still having issues once that is fixed, feel free to return to this thread.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It sounds like you're just not making an internet connection. You would need to do that to perform any of the tasks that you are describing. What kind of network setup did you have at the university and what do you have where you are now? They may be different types and you just need to set the right one up.