Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Permissions Troubles (attrib in cmd does not work)

• Please log in to reply

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Ha ha ha ha, heh.
Every single file on C:\ (hd1) has been set to read only mode. I have tried
attrib -r c: /s /d
as well as a large combination of the attrib commands. And yes, I have tried unticking the 'read only' box. I am guessing this is because linux (xubuntu) locked the drive up.. Some mixup with file permissions as I was accessing the drive, then the server hit a flood and the computer crashed while accessing the Windows Partition.
Ha ha ha, good stuff.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
this is a complete stab in the dark..but try taking ownership of the C drive in windows first...right click the c: drive and choose properties, then the security tab, then advanced then the owner tab...choose your user in the list and tick the "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box then press apply...then try to modify the attributes

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I would have done this a while ago, but apparently I don't have this security tab for any of my folders.. I do recall using it before. And in any case, that is just for setting User Restrictions. I can write files to the disk, however programs that require plugins can't load the plugins unless I set the file properties while the program is running.

this is a complete stab in the dark..but try taking ownership of the C drive in windows first...right click the c: drive and choose properties, then the security tab, then advanced then the owner tab...choose your user in the list and tick the "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box then press apply...then try to modify the attributes

Jr0x

Jr0x

Malware removal team

• Malware Removal
  • 1,830 posts
To view security tab, first you have to disable File-Sharing. To do this:

Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab.
Untick Use simple file sharing (Recommended)
Click Apply and OK.

Now Right Click on any folder > Properties. You should get to see the Security tab.

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I have already finished this task a while back..

To view security tab, first you have to disable File-Sharing. To do this:

Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab.
Untick Use simple file sharing (Recommended)
Click Apply and OK.

Now Right Click on any folder > Properties. You should get to see the Security tab.

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
As in to say, that the ladder post had no effect.