Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XandrOS (Linux) install corrupts MBR, Vista won't re-install

• Please log in to reply

CycleRob

CycleRob

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
NoteBook is a new HP dv9320us with 2GB DDR2 SDRAM, 120GB HDD and an AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile 1.6 GHz with Vista Home Premium. DVDRW but no 3.5" FDD. Can boot from a USB FlashDrive.

Annoyed with Vista's crashing my 2 favorite programs (Turbonavigator & Irfanview) and Vista's slower than XP surfing speeds, I decided to install Xandros Linux Home Premium OS along side Vista. It offered dual boot capability, "non destructive" install and the ability to read/write NTFS files on all drives. Almost PC heaven. It installed and ran quickly. Xandros didn't recognize much of my hardware like the built-in WiFi and other problems so I decide to remove the Xandros OS. It offers NO UnInstall options. Using the Xandros install disk I deleted the RFS (Reiser) file system Xandros uses and selected format in NTFS to get back the space it took. Then it happened. Windows would not load. I get the first boot screen then it goes to black and stalls forever.

After Googleing my problem (on another PC) and viewing many log files, these answers came up:
damaged MBR
Bootmgr is missing
Bootmgr is compressed

ReInstalling Vista from the single DVD gives a working desktop with a few things missing. The install program keeps restarting the same install operation over and over, indicated by the repeating progress bar. The 120GB HDD is now only 24GB in My Computer. Repeating the install with another DVD from HP gives the exact same result. Pressing F8 or F11 does nothing at boot-up.

OK. Here's my $64 question: How can I fix this mess with a slick download, Tech Geek instructions and without purchasing $64 software?

-CycleRob-

Edited by CycleRob, 07 July 2007 - 12:35 AM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Have you tried booting to the Windows Vista CD.

Selecting repair my computer.
Then Select either startup repair or command prompt and when that comes up type fixmbr?

CycleRob

CycleRob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The proprietary Hewlett Packard Vista Home Premium Restoration DVD does not offer those options, only the destructive, return to day 1, full install. It does NOT fix the altered drive cfg that has occurred. Happy Birthday. I pushed F8 while loading and was able to get safe mode with cmd prompt but the DOS window flashed and disappeared. I was left with a blank black screen with "Safe Mode" in each of the 4 screen corners. No mouse cursor or response from the keyboard. The windows key had no response. If I could get the RUN window I would try "CMD.EXE" then "FIXMBR." There's a serious FUBAR result here.
There are many choices after an F8 redirect. Not sure which one would give me the cmd line power to fix the MBR or find/fix the problem.

CycleRob

CycleRob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Progress has been made by basically . . . . running with scissors, pushing buttons and playing with fire.

After the Xandros disaster I was starting out with:
A 120GB drive of which only 24GB is visible as C drive, the DVD drive being drive D, mysteriously 87.7GB of HDD space had gone missing and a crippled version of Vista still trying to load the same compressed files over-&-over from the installer. The partially installed VistaHomPrem had a functioning Disk Management function and I was able to see the missing 87.7GB of HDD space in it's UnFormatted state. Right clicking it popped a window and I started the NTFS formatting program on that vacant partition. I will be able to then change the drive letters of the DVD from D to E and the 2nd partition of drive C, to drive D, like it's supposed to be. Then I bet the HP VistaHomPrem install DVD will make things right.

My only problem: The Vista folder and more importantly "Program Files" folder will both be on a 24GB drive C which now has about 25% free. On my XP NoteBook, which thankfully came with a C and D drive partitions, I always installed my added programs on drive D in either the "Games", "Utils" or "DownLoad" folders. Otherwise drive C fills up too quick and you're hurt'n. On the new NoteBook I will do the same install to D drive with EVERY program I add.

After days of elevated pressure and using my old NoteBook I am feeling lucky . . . for now. I can only blame Hewlett Packard for providing a less than full function recovery DVD. Per the ByLaws, will let you know the outcome tomorrow.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hi Cyclerob.

That makes things difficult.

Go ahead and call HP see if they are willing to give you a OEM version of the Operating System CD. Tell them you need to access Windows Vista startup repair feature.

Edited by tuxmaster, 07 July 2007 - 05:11 PM.

CycleRob

CycleRob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Long story short . . . HP's restoration DVD saves the day and we are back to perfect.

That happened after over 13 reboots and just under 3 hours. When I finally got the language and time entry screens I knew it was a working Vista. What really surprised me is that when I checked drive C and D they were just as they were on day-1. That is A HUGE drive C partition with everything and a tiny drive D partition with just the Vista restoration files and less than 1GB free. That's what took so long . . . the repartitioning and formatting of it's 120GB HDD. In my previous attempts at this reinstall after over 2 hours and the lower total progress bar not advancing, I turned it off and aborted it. That was a mistake !!! The last install that worked did the same thing, but I let it go. It turns out that lower progress bar never did move beyond the 20% position. Their GUI progress indicator software is defective! Apparently it's hard to find A-1, walk on water programmers today.

The first thing I did once Norton AV (free 60 day membership from HP or CompUSA), internet access and all the Win UpDates were in place was . . . . . create the restoration DVD's for my system. It req'd 2 DVD (+R) disks. I used 2 HP LightScribe blanks so I can burn a label on them later. It says that only ONE set of recovery disks can be created. Hmmm. Strike ONE and you're OUT is not a GOOD PLAN. Anyway, I watched as it copied, compiled, burned, VERIFIED (thank you, thank you) and then opened the drive door for the 2nd disk. As this was happening it also occurred top me why the DVD shipped from HP took so long and rebooted over 13 times. That single DVD is for all new HP computers. It makes repeated tests and configures itself for whatever PC it's running on then only decompresses those files. My created Restoration DVD's will/should complete the restoration job in "about 45 minutes" like the HP Tech told me over the phone.

On a side note . . . I figured out this morning why my new HP Vista NoteBook surfs noticeably slower than my old VAIO XPsp2 NoteBook does. The old PC has a Linksys WiFi card with SpeedBooster just like the Linksys Router it's talking to. My new HP NoteBook has built-in WiFi and one empty "express" card slot that is not compatible with the old Linksys PCI card. Oh well . . . .

Maybe Santa will deliver an express card with SpeedBoost.