Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio Problems

• Please log in to reply

diffusionentity

diffusionentity

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I know that my computer is free of viruses since I have run many, many scans and gone to the forums and cleaned things up, however I have no sound!
It just happened overnight. Turned computer off at night, went to bed, turned it on in the morning: no sound!
It was one or two months ago now though. When I try to run itunes it says there is a problem with the audio device.
I download the codecs (I think that's what I'm downloading anyway) and it unpacks them to random folders and usually the sound starts working again. Sometimes the internet sound works with it sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it is the other way around and only my internet browsers emit sound. But whenever i restart the computer again it stops working. It is REALLY annoying and help would be much appreciated :whistling:

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Go into Device manager Do you see any !,?,X

To get to device manager.

Click Start.
Click on Run.
Type sysdm.cpl.
Click on Hardware.
Click on Device Manager.

diffusionentity

diffusionentity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Under Sound, Video and game controllers it has Audio Codecs, Legacy Audio Drivers, Legacy video capture devices, video codecs.
Doesn't explain why the sound doesn't work though.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Do you have any ? X or !

diffusionentity

diffusionentity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ohhhh sorry, I have two ! under System Devices for Base System Device and ATM Network Controller but none under Sound, Video And Game Controllers

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Volume settings what are they set at?

diffusionentity

diffusionentity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
how do I find out?

diffusionentity

diffusionentity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Under Sounds And Audio Devices properties (from control panel) it says there is no audio device, if that is any help.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
That is not good can you select a default audio device?

diffusionentity

diffusionentity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
When I reinstall it (i reinstall Realtek AC'97 Audio -- I think it is the codecs but there is probably more) The Realtek device shows up, but as I said whever I reboot it disappears.
No there is no way of selecting the default device after i reboot because the default device is the Realtek AC'97 audio which I have to reinstall everytime I reboot.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What happens if you completely uninstall and then reinstall your audio drivers?