Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Software to make laptop screen dimmer

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hi,
I was wondering if there's any software out there to make laptop screens dimmer than they go using the "Fn+[down arrow key]".

I don't mind how it works, I just want my screen to appear dimmer since every now and then I use it in pitch darkness!
This means I don't mind if the software adds a layer of semi-transparent black or whatever, I just want some software that'll make the screen appear to be less bright.

Thanks.
Dom

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, just a quick google search has revealed this program: http://www.entechtai...om/util/ps.shtm
You could read up on it, see what you think, see if it offers what you are looking for...

Other than that, you could try to put a physical barrier between you and the screen, like some tinted clear paper of some sort. The type they use for x-rays and stuff is what comes to mind, something that can slip over the laptop screen...

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Hi there, just a quick google search has revealed this program: http://www.entechtai...om/util/ps.shtm
You could read up on it, see what you think, see if it offers what you are looking for...

Other than that, you could try to put a physical barrier between you and the screen, like some tinted clear paper of some sort. The type they use for x-rays and stuff is what comes to mind, something that can slip over the laptop screen...

Thanks, I'll try it now and report back.

What did you G search for though? I couldn't think of a search that wouldn't come up with laptop reviews saying "the screen isn't bright enough" etc instead of the software I was looking for...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I don't remember, I think it was "screen dimmer" or something...

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Ok well the software that you referred me to hasn't really worked.

I can change the colour "bits", resolution and refresh rate but I can't find any brightness options?
I tried some gamma ones but they didn't appear to work...

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
OH NO!
I just found the option!

Thankyou very much :-)
Resolved.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Awesome, glad it helped you. I haven't actually downloaded or used the program myself, that's why I said:

Well done :whistling: