Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Router

• Please log in to reply

whav

whav

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, please can someone help me.

Previously I had my Linksys Wireless Router/modem connected through a telephone line and working fine through two computers.

I have since moved house in the UK and am trying to set up the router for 2 PC's to pick up the signal. I now have a modem through the ISP which I have to use. I now have to connect the modem to the router via an ethernet cable however my internet connection is not been fed through the router to the USB wireless devices in the PC.

I have checked the modem supplied through my ISP is connected to the internet and this works fine with a cable however I cannot get this to be transmitted through the router.

Please can someone help me with this problem as I have spent several hours trying to work out the problem. Do I have to configure the router? Any help would be much appricated.

Best wishes

WHAV

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
power down everything and if there isn't a switch on something..unplug from the wall...make sure the connections are..first the cable or DSL goes into the modem...plug the router into the modem...and for now just use a cat5 cable and plug one (or both)of the computers into the router...
then power up the modem first...wait until all the lights are steady....
then power up the router wait until all the lights are steady...
then turn on the computer(s)...try to access the internet...
no joy
click on start...run..type in ...cmd...press enter or click on OK...in the dos box type in ipconfig /flushdns then press enter..
be sure you put a space between ipconfig and the /
type in exit
reboot

whav

whav

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok thanks for you help. I did this and two things happened:-

1) When I powered everything up I got a windows error message suggesting there is limited or no connectivity due to the network not assigning a network address to the computer.

2) after running the prompt - flushdns etc.. I was informed it had done this successfully. However when powered up again, I got the same above message.

Any further advice?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most routers when you power them up from cold will not give computers IP addresses for a short while. The computer will claim limited or no connectivity but usually sorts itself out. This is normal behaviour.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this..
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....click OK..to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter