Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems logging into online sites

• Please log in to reply

Bandalier

Bandalier

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I got a virus and some spywayre/adware over a week ago. Well that's all been fixed now, thanks to the malware forum on this site. However, one problem that couldn't be fixed by the malware people is the fact that I still can't log in to anything online. For example, I can't log into Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail, etc.

Even logging into this site sometimes gives me grief and I stiff have to use Netscape in order to do it, IE or Firefox won't allow me to log into this site.

Can anyone help?

A couple of things I've tried, I already ran SFC and it found nothing, at least that's what I'm assuming because it didn't tell me anything after it concluded its scan.

I tried doing a restore with no success at all, since I tried it several time with the malware forum.

This is getting very annoying so if anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bandalier

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
What exactly happens when you try to log into a website? Have you tried to reinstall Internet Explorer?

Bandalier

Bandalier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
When I try to log in to a site, each site is different in how they respond. Yahoo, simply asks for my password over and over again. Never actually logging me in. Hotmail says that either my username or password are incorrect. However in both cases I can log in on a different computer other than this one. Hotmail says that it's the wrong username or password, yet I'm logged into Messenger using the same information I'm using when I try to log into Hotmail.

Gmail doesn't even come up. It actually tries to load the site over and over again, never actually getting there and then it usually crashes IE.

I haven't tried reinstalling IE yet only because it's not the only program having the problem. If I could log in using Netscape, or Opera, or Firefox, then I would say it's IE, but it's not. It has to be something with the computer or something. I'm just not smart enough with computers to know the in's and out's.

I hope that helps understand my problem better.

Bandalier

miekiemoes

miekiemoes

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,503 posts
  • MVP
You may want to read this:

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;813444

I have seen this issue also a lot of times when Norton is installed.
Also, in case you're using a proxy, disable it and see if that makes a difference.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...
click on start...run..type in ...cmd...press enter or click on OK...in the dos box type in ipconfig /flushdns then press enter..
be sure you put a space between ipconfig and the /
type in exit
reboot

no joy

try this..
TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands click on Start.... Run..... type in...CMD ....click OK..to open a command prompt box

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults...type in ... netsh winsock reset catalog .... press ...enter

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults...type in...... netsh int ip reset reset.log ... press ...enter

Bandalier

Bandalier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for you help, everyone. The problem is now fixed.

I'm getting some errors when I shut down, but I'll take care of those at a later time.

Have a great summer.

Bandalier

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

The problem is now fixed

what fixed it...

I'm getting some errors when I shut down,

what errors...

Bandalier

Bandalier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Okay, well I shut down just now and there ended up being no error msg's. However that's unusual, so I'll keep an eye on it.

However, when I was shutting down IE, I got this error.

Auto Sugges Drop-Down - Internet Explorer Application Error
The instruction "0x2753c390" referenced memory at "0x2753c390". The memory could not be read.

I'm not sure what all that means, but I know I've seen it before. And since I've been attacked with spyware/malware/viruses, I've seen errors from IE. Never before had I seen them, so I know something is up.

Thanks for your help.

Bandalier

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you didn't say but I assume the logging in problem is gone now...
did the malware forum have you run ccleaner...if not

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you!Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced. or settings
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Click on CCleaner to start it. Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

Edited by happyrck, 11 July 2007 - 06:36 AM.

Bandalier

Bandalier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yes, I did run it when I was in Malware. But, I just ran it again and it cleared about 323 MB of files.

Yes, the problem with logging in is fixed.

Thanks,

Badalier

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the easiest way to get rid of those pesky IE problems is to use firefox...its faster... safer and lighter on your system and when you install it ...you can have it import all your favorites...it calls them bookmarks though..get it here...you will never go back to IE