Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Boot Windows - registry failure

• Please log in to reply

sumann

sumann

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all,

I am totally desperate here...I've been working on this for 4 days...Xp will not boot.
I have a desktop with XP (used to be on same network) so that is the good news.

I'm trying to not have to do a full install - but at the very least want to get my files. Do NOT have a backup (I know - DUMMY)!

System: HP Media Center Laptop; XP Home Sp2 (not OEM); NTFS 60G - Being recognized as 57%; 19% free
Have original recovery disc
Have Maxtor external w/ USB to transfer files to (and it is being recognized as d:drive)

Issue began:
Blue screen - power failure

Here's what I know:
Upon startup options to do safe mode last known config etc DO NOT work.
Error: C0000218 (registry file failure) Reg cannot load hive.
"systemroot/system32/config/security" Corrupt, absent or not writeable
Also when trying to boot into safe mode - I believe the bad file is sptd.sys (created from daemon tools)

Here's where I'm at now:
-Cannot get into safe mode or any of those options (to do system restore or ANYTHING)
-Have original XP disc but cannot do repair as the 'R' option is not available once I get past the f8 EULA (which I gather is not good)
-Can't do anything at C: prompt booting from recovery disc. Access is denied to all files - when I try to cd or do anything in there. Trying because I want to edit corrupt registry by creating a tmp dir and copy/deleting registry AND/OR backup files.
-When I do a dir command it looks like Windows, Prog Files, etc directories are empty (zero)
-Chkdsk gets stuck in loop and stops at 50% or other various points - I arrived at this while trying to run a bootcgf /rebuild /list , etc (U have to run chkdsk first).
-Tried knoppix and the external drive showed up fine, not the hard drive and it said that there was an ntfs inconsistency - so I can't transfer my files over to the external.

I have no idea what else to do.

When I try to do a fresh install from the setup disc the option to format, or to leave settings as they are is there. Obviously I don't want to format but I'm scared of the 'leave settings' option....is this a viable option to repair but not lose files? And will it even do anything?

Or, if I could get access into the files from the c: prompt I could try to delete the bad registry entires and or that sptd.sys file.

Any other ideas?? Please.

Thanks so much!

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hi I have had much success solving these recently.

Try recovering the registry from snapshot.

sumann

sumann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the response Tux!

I will try it shortly and let you know how it goes! :whistling:

Edited by sumann, 09 July 2007 - 08:55 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if the data is really important I would try to slave the drive to a working system and back up the files first...
then...do a fresh install with the ...leave settings as they are option..
with all the problems your describing I suspect the hard drive is dead or dying...

Edited by happyrck, 09 July 2007 - 08:38 AM.

sumann

sumann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Okay, I didn't have luck with the 'access denied' issue because it appears that access is denied to even get into the config file to change the access?

So I tried to just go into each dir separately to see what happens. Here's exactly what I typed.

C:\>cd WINDOWS\
Access is denied.

C:\>cd WINDOWS\system32
Access is denied.

C:\>cd WINDOWS\system32\config
The path of file specified is not valid.

I did upon trying this figure out that my Windows command needs to be capitalized (before it could not find it due to it being lowercase).

I did a dir on c and it appears as if my directories, e.g. WINDOWS, Program Files are all empty (0) - but they aren't really empty are they?

Any other suggestions?

sumann

sumann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
happyrck,

Thanks. Is there a quick and easy way to do the slave drive without a cable?

I've been trying everything...but I didn't get a USB 2.0 to IDE cable yet. That was my other option...

I think you are right about the hard drive because it has been overheating a lot lately and shutting down, hence this issue.

I bought a new targus notebook cooler (with the little fans) and have been using that for the last few days. Apparently my old laptop stand was ineffective. :whistling:

Edited by sumann, 09 July 2007 - 08:50 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
since this is a desktop drive you just have to remove the drive and on the back put the little jumper on slave (sl) or cable select (cs) and plug it into the middle connector on a working system...you don't have to actually install the drive if the cable is long enough..open the case and just plug it in and lay it on a non conductive surface ...like a cardboard box...I do this all the time..just make it flat (reasonably level)...or stand it on its side...they will work either way...again...try to make it square with the world.. :whistling:

Edited by happyrck, 09 July 2007 - 09:19 AM.

sumann

sumann

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey happyrck,

So do I need to go get a cable? And if so, exactly what kind?

I want to be sure you understood my issue - I have a working desktop - and my laptop is the dead one. :whistling:

I'm really dumb with hardware! haha I may need a step by step...so sad, so sad...

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Did you folllow the instructions on the link I provided to remove the Access Denied error message?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
since its a laptop... I thought in your first post you said it was a desktop...anyway go here for what you will need ...you will have to remove the hard drive from the laptop...plug in the cables from that link..and then plug the usb end into a working computer...burn the data to cd/dvd's or a usb external hard drive if you have one..its pretty straightforward...