Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ADSL USB ZOOM MODEM

• Please log in to reply

Ozzie82

Ozzie82

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all. I used to have a 1mb speed broadband package with 10gb bandwidth. But just there a few months ago, i decided get new package. I now have upto 8mb line and its running at 4mb max cos of restriction of copper and just my location .

Anyhows. Every since i changed package , my internet keeps disconnecting alot , maybe 3 times in the one hour or even 3 times every minute, it depends , but most times it disconnects every hour

It never reaches its 4MB speed, and is always between 2.7 and 3.4mps . I can live with this as its still faster than 1MB.

But my problem is with the disconnects . I phoned my isp today and had it out with them to see if this problem can be fixed. I was on to a winner cos he was giving me good advice and advice none of the other tech supports were giving me.

But just before i got what i needed of him, strange enough the line hangs up. So i was connecting to this line at 50p a minute and was on for 22mins and am still no further forward.

But i did get enough info off him to try and combat this problem myself and come here and maybe someone will know the rest of it and fill in what he would have said.

Ok, as far as i got with him he says'' go into run and type, NOTEPAD C:/ Windows Drivers /adids '' then after that its where i got cut off. before that also he was saying about using this way via notepad to change some numbers or something , and by doing that , this will stop the disconnects.

I tried this way he said, but because i did not get the full info off him i cannot complete this task . But i did go into windows 32 folder /drivers folder and i found what he may have be trying to describe to me.

this is what it looks like in my adids folder

I think he was trying to tell me to either delete a number /numbers or add some.

This is where i have become stuck and i was wondering if any of you guys know of this propblem or have come across this before?

It is a ''USB ZOOM ADSL USB MODEM'' Model number 5610

This is the info he asked of me , then this is how i have come to being in the adids folder. any help on this matter would very much be appreciated

..........PROBLEM 2

Speaking to the same tech support at Supanet

This is not so much a problem as the one stated above but no the less, still very annoying to have to deal with

I do be playing online games and as yous know ''PING'' is an important part of multiplayer games

I have had many Solutions suggested to be and some practiced but they seem to have no effect.

I got a thing called ''InterLeaving'' switched of on my line cos this i was told helps the ping levels if switched of, i had to phone my isp which inturn phoned my phone company . they then switched this off for me.

but my pings are always very high and in someways this has to do with the problem above also, its connected somewhat.

when i had the 1mb package my ping times were always fine and had no probs at all, but since i changed to upto 8mb , its seems my ping has gone through the roof and at sometimes double the rate it should be.

I ve noticed if am running at a lower speed say , 2.7 or something , my ping times in games are lower, but when it disconnects and then when i reconnect , its at a higher mbs like 3.7 or something. then this is where i get high ping times.

It has only been like this since i upgraded my line speed/package. i never exceed my bandwidth or anything, all temp files /prefetch is always cleaned out and comp is running clean of virus and all nastys that i can get via the net.

I have exhausted all that can be done and now i come here just to see if someone out there has or knows of same problems listed above.

I could ring my isp again, but this costs me an arm and a leg to do so and i dont want to be wasting anymore money for half got info and its just a mad run around every time due to the language barrier.

Thanks very much for reading this and am sry if its a bit of a mix up to read etc

any comments on this matter would be very much appreciated

Kind Regards and thanks in advance

Ozzie

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Problems like this are usually caused because the line cannot support the faster speeds. This often happens after you upgrade to a faster line whereas before the upgrade there were no problems.
The only real solution is to downgrade to a slower speed which should make the connection more stable.

Ozzie82

Ozzie82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Neil , Thanks for speedy reply, Yes , i tried asking them to turn down my line speed, but they said that it cant be done due to contract issues or some bull like that. Then i asked them , if it was possible to put me on a diff package, but now, all there packages are upto 8mb speed and anyother isp is more or less the same.

Just before i changed to upto 8mb, they had 2mb line speed packages, but when i asked about that, it was a locked door also. They dont do anything other than 8 and most isp are the same or greater.

Anyhows, even if i did get the 2mb package, they would have upgraded me to 8mb ,lols, so am beat no matter what i try.

I ran a test for ''show my ip '' and its showing me that my ip is located in Burnley ,England. and i reside in N.Ireland which is over 300miles away. Surley for Broadband to work, the sub station should be no more than 3miles away or 14000ft. There is one down the road from me , but it seems am not connected to that one,otherwise when i do ip test,it would show up as there. but always shows as being in Burnley.

I think this is the problem , due to the distance , thats why am getting very unstable connections/speeds.

I ve asked all guys i know online and they are all within skipping distance from there sub stations, then from there the main line is going to the main isp server.

But its seems am running straight to supanets base in Burnley,England.
This would be fine if i lived in Burnley :-) but unlucky for me , i dont :-(

Maybe i should try find a company that is closer to me and then work from that. I have tried everything i know and then some to sort this out. I guess al just have to put up with it until i change isp and maybe get my Phone company out to make sure all is ok with the phone line and all its connections.

Anyways

Thanks for comment and i look forward to helping you or anybody out with future problems that i may be able to assist with etc. nice site :-)

Kind Regards

Ozzie82

Edited by Ozzie82, 09 July 2007 - 05:16 PM.