Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inserted Pics Causing Huge Increase in Excel File Size

• Please log in to reply

Intern

Intern

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi again. I've been working on a project in Excel that involves people inserting images into the file. The problem we're having now is that when a picture is inserted into the file, there is an enormous increase in the file size. It increases so much that we cannot send the file as an attachment in an e-mail, which is what we need to be able to do.

For example, the actual Excel file reads as being 2.30 MB when looking at it's properties window. The picture I was given to test it out is a JPG file that is 730 KB. Now when I go to insert the picture into the file, save it, and look at the Excel file's properties again, the file has jumped up to 24 MB, and if I insert the picture a second time, the file size becomes 45.8 MB. We need to be able to fit in 3 pictures and still send this file through in an e-mail, but we have a ceiling of around 20-22 MB for our e-mails.

Does anyone know why the file made such a dramatic increase in size from adding in a JPG that is nowhere near that large, or have any ideas on how to go about reducing the size of the file? Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Have you tried compressing the Excel file using the Windows built-in software?

Intern

Intern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well I converted it to an Adobe PDF and that dropped the file size dramatically. The file I was just working on decreased from 24 MB to 273 KB. Was that what you were referring to? Or was there another method you had in mind? Because we don't know if everyone at all the branches even has Adobe on their computers.

Edited by Intern, 10 July 2007 - 08:08 AM.

Intern

Intern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I just tried the compress picture option for the picture toolbar, but with a file containing a single picture it only reduced the file size from 24 MB to 23.6 MB, which is nowhere near good enough.

Edited by Intern, 10 July 2007 - 02:45 PM.