Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pop up problems [Moved]

• Please log in to reply

Benjyman

Benjyman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi...

I am worried there may be some spyware on my pc... something to do with the Dr Watson bug and the W32.HLLW.Gaobot.gen virus I think although if I'm honest I have little or no idea what all that means! I am trying to follow the removal instructions given in the relavent forum but am stuck right at the beginning!

When I try to download the Ad-Aware exe a pop up appears saying "This object has been blocked"

I have since discovered that this also happens when I try and download any free scans from reputable websites.

Any ideas? Very annoying as I really want to get the pc healthy again and I can't even run a scan!

Thanks in anticipation...

Edit: Forgot to say already have Spybot which reports no problems, Norton which finds the Gaobot.gen, tells me to download a removal tool which then tells me it couldn't find Gaobot despite the fact I can see it! Also Zone Alarm... I didn't know about all the free versions of these programmes until I had already subscribed for a year!

Edited by Benjyman, 11 April 2005 - 05:24 PM.

Advertisements

Benjyman

Benjyman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
bump

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hi Benjyman and welcome
Were you able to download HJT ? If so please post a log please to this topic,

I moved your topic to the forum where you are more likely to get help with this
Thanks
Don

Benjyman

Benjyman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi Don. Thanks for your reply.

I am unable to download any exe it would appear - from a Sim City 2 update to HJT.

If I could get a log I would surely post it!!

SO what next? FYI I am using Firefox but I have the same problem if I use IE.

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Do you have a friend or acess to another computer where you could download HJT to a floppy and then download it to the infected machine?