Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c: drive "locked down"

• Please log in to reply

monkeygrudge

monkeygrudge

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
my hard drive will not let me perform basic functions.

there is no c:\temp folder, so the directory is flooded with around 150 tmp files and folders. i cannot delete them without first modifying the security settings for each item, one at a time, despite my admin account. confounding this problem is i cannot create new folders (i.e., "Temp") on the drive; i get a permissions error. if i could delete, it seems a worthless pursuit--without a proper temp dir, new tmp files and folders will still be created, yes?

many programs will not run, either, presumably because of this problem. they simply won't run at all, and do not trip any error messages as to what the problem may be. in one case [probably due to the "trusted installer" settings] i was able to reinstall firefox to a different directory...reinstalling all progs is not an option, because 1) too much [bleep] work; and 2) it is not a panacea, as it failed to be the answer for my logitech mouse. other progs, however, work as they should, without any hint as to why.

i looked at permissions and security settings for the drive via right-clicking in winexplore, and i think the machine laughed at me.

this is a new machine running vistahp, and i am the only user.

thank you for your time.

Advertisements

Cybertimber2007

Cybertimber2007

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ok was the temp file missing as far as you know when you got the computer?

What company made the computer?

--------
I found something possibly worth trying.
You can apparently delete the temp folder in safe mode, so you might be able to ADD one in safe mode.
To access safe mode, on boot up press F8 every second or so, or when you see the OS Selector.
If you see the Vista loading screen though, you've waited too long.

monkeygrudge

monkeygrudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
the temp folder did once exist on c: [no, i didn't delete it!].

computer by dell

safe mode did nothing; still received "you do not have permission because we somehow know better than you" error.

thanks, though.