Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions about AGP vs. PCI-E x16

• Please log in to reply

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
I couldnt find anything about this here... and I've been wondering (for future reference on next system build), which is the better performing video card type AGP or PCI Express x16?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
PCIx16 is twice as fast as AGPx8. AGP is an outdated technology and it shouldn't even be a consideration.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Titan, you forgot the "AMEN".

Bahlzeron

Bahlzeron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
ok, kool... thanx.. I never was able to figure out which was the better choice..

hypotheticaly.... if AGP was updated to 16x (which I seriously doubt will happen) then which technology is better? (the thoughts that go through my head..lol)

Also.. I noticed alot of (maybe all?) PCI-E cards use only half of its memory from it's onboard source... do all PCI-E cards do this or just some of them? also why would a video card use only half its mem from its own and other half from your comp wouldnt it be MUCH more effecient to have/use all its memory from its own dedicated onboard source?

these are questions that other people ask me.. then in turn it gets my own curiosity going... technology absolutely fascinates me..lol