Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ways to speed up PC with Win XP

• Please log in to reply

Asha Nair

Asha Nair

• Pip
  • 4 posts
What are the ways to increase the speed of my PC installed with Windows XP? I was using Win 98 SE without any problems. Since after I installed XP, all the operations are very slow which creates unnecessary loss of time and much other problems. Are there any ways to increase the speed of this?

Advertisements

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Read this article. It will probably answer your question.

http://users.telenet...owcomputer.html

Edited by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, 11 July 2007 - 12:13 PM.

Asha Nair

Asha Nair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for the response and help. I will try the advices listed there. I think that it is very helpful for beginners too.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Windows XP requires, by design, much more computer resources then 98 (larger and faster memory, faster and more technologically advanced cpu etc). Please tell us the specs of your computer and we will see what can be done on the hardware side.

Asha Nair

Asha Nair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My PC is P4 1.7 Ghz, 256 MB of RAM, Asus motherboard. OS is Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
First, and most important, you have at least to double the ram to 512 MB. Win 98 can work very fast on your computer and even on older machines such as 1 gig pentium 3 with 128 MB SDRAM ram. You got used to the speed of the 98 but your system will never run that fast with xp. Adding ram is almost the only thing that you can do at a reasonable expense.

Asha Nair

Asha Nair

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for the response and advice. I am planning to buy a new PC. Hope this will help with speed problems.