Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how can i get XP with a serial number?

• Please log in to reply

BL00DY_R0AR

BL00DY_R0AR

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
The question is basically, i have a Dell tower with the serial number on the side of it [i know its XP from the person i bought the tower from] so how would i be able to possibly get XP or some kind of operating system with that serial number? Is it even possible? I'm trying to biuld a computer from parts and thats pretty much the piece im missing, is an OS. I can use linux, but i would rather have windows. Any ideas or suggestions?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The licence for Windows stays with the Dell so far as Microsoft is concerned. In their eyes you need a new licence. Yes it sucks and yes its expensive. But OEM licences live and die with the machine they're stuck to, you are legally not allowed to transfer them to this new system you're building. For this transfer ability you require a Retail copy of XP which will not accept the code on the side of the Dell.

BL00DY_R0AR

BL00DY_R0AR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
hmm...I see.

well what would you reccomend in doing then? and if i plan on building PCs, how would i get an OS for them? any tips on that?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
If you plan to build many PC's, you should get OEM's, one for each machine. That OEM disk and serial number stays with each machine if you sell them or whatever. If you buy the retail version, you can use it on one machine at a time if you upgrade it later.
You can buy serial numbers from Microsoft for the price of an OEM copy of Windows, which has to stay with that machine. (As far as I remember).

BL00DY_R0AR

BL00DY_R0AR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
What is an OEM? Yes i'm a bit new to this, and im starting to build PC's as a hobby and to make one for my g/f =P. but can you explain it more in a bit more depth? and you said something about the serial number you can buy from Microsoft? Is there a way to get one disk, that i can install windows on all the PC's i make? Or would i have to do as you said, to buy XP, and then buy a serial number from windows each time i want to put windows onto one of the computers i build?

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
Companies like Dell sell the Operating Systems on their computers with OEM copies, meaning you get a disk, and a sticker that has the serial number on it, Microsoft will not give you support for this, this is up to the store or company who sold you the computer.
The retail version comes with a box, disk, manual and Microsoft offers support for it, you can transfer this to another computer if you upgrade later, but can only be on one computer at a time.

Here you can see the OEM version of Vista Home Premium.
Here you can see the retail version.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Everything you've been told on this forum so far is correct, but they forgot to mention that the person you bought the PC from was legally bound to sell it with the pre-installed OS (and any Windows recovery discs) that it was originally supplied with. He is still legally obliged to do that and you are legally entitled to demand he hands them over if he still has them. As mentioned earlier, the OEM software and the licence to use it stays with the computer not with the person who first bought it.

Edited by pip22, 12 July 2007 - 03:49 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Is there a way to get one disk, that i can install windows on all the PC's i make? Or would i have to do as you said, to buy XP, and then buy a serial number from windows each time i want to put windows onto one of the computers i build?

yes you have to get a license for EACH computer you want to install windows on...no matter if it's OEM or retail...you could get a volume license version of windows which would allow you to use one serial number on X amount of PC's but you have to buy X amount of licenses at once ...and to my recolection...they don't do less than 5 licenses in a VLK set and there's no cost savings at that level...if you buy say...25 licenses at once...then they cut the price buy a rellatively decent amount

BL00DY_R0AR

BL00DY_R0AR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Okay.

Well i'm not going to blow my money on OS's, especcially if its only going to be a hobby. Let me ask this; what linux would you guys recommend from your experience? I tried Ubuntu and it looked pretty nice. I might buy the better version if i'm able to intall it as many times as i want. I'd imagine so if they have a decent free version out. And thank you all for helping me out so far :whistling: much apprecciated.

Edited by BL00DY_R0AR, 12 July 2007 - 08:47 AM.