Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Problems please help

• Please log in to reply

stealthyasallama

stealthyasallama

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have had my computer and all of my parts for about a month, recently i noticed that my two rear speakers on my 5.1 surround sound system do not work. I have tried quite a few things, I updated the drivers(4 times) I downloaded Creatives Audio Console(not sure how to use that, but nothing looked like it helped), I know it's not the speakers cause I've switched the lines and tested each line, Line 1(Front speakers) worked very well, Line 3( center + subwoofer) worked well too, but I noticed no matter which line i plugged into Line 2(rear Speakers), I would get no sound.

Now I'm wondering if theres some sort of option in my bios? the creative audio console? or something else that I missed.

Note: windows is set to 5.1 speakers, and my sound card is the sound blaster x-fi extreme gamer.

Advertisements

Joker1337

Joker1337

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
That's a cool user name :whistling:

Who made the PC, what OS, and what brand of speakers are they, if you don't mind me asking? There shouldn't be anything in BIOS remotely related to a sound card being 5.1 or 2.1 as far as I know.

If you open up the volume option in Windows, are they muted?
Are you certain that you have the jacks hooked up right (i.e. the rear jack is the one you think it is)? Color coding on speakers is not consistent.

Edited by Joker1337, 12 July 2007 - 05:48 AM.

stealthyasallama

stealthyasallama

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

That's a cool user name :whistling:

Who made the PC and what brand of speakers are they, if you don't mind me asking? There shouldn't be anything in BIOS remotely related to a sound card being 5.1 or 2.1 as far as I know.

If you swap the front R/L speaker for the rear R/L speaker (i.e. switch the plugs) what happens?
If you open up the volume option in Windows, are they muted?
Are you certain that you have the jacks hooked up right? Color coding on speakers is not consistent.

I made the PC, they're logitech speakers I checked the BIOS I wasn't looking for something related to 5.1- 2.1 I was looking for PCI stuff or disabling of the onboard audio(which i did didn't help)

When I switch them like I mentioned my rear speakers put out what my front speakers would put out, it's just line 2(rear speakers) that doesn't seem to work(or didn't i'll get back to this)
No they aren't
Yeah i realized they weren't consistent, but I've checked my manual and the creative site(IE it's blue on my sound card, but black on my cable for line 2)

Now I did an upgrade to vista(or downgrade ¿shrug?) and now my sound is fuzzy(sorta it's clear and fuzzy and I do get sound out of my rear speakers( just really fuzzy sound) and it's beginning to really anger me

on a random note that's bothering me, I recently set up a dual boot with windows xp and windows vista and I noticed that the ethernet port that's integrated onto my motherboard is not recognized on windows xp, but is recognized with windows vista, I know it's a driver thing, but I can't find the drivers neccesary to make it work, I've set up an ethernet card to it that's recognized by both vista and xp so I don't really need this driver, but quite honestly it does bother me( sorry about not making another post about this, but I didn't see the use since I've fixed the problem(not to my anal retentive liking though)

Edited by stealthyasallama, 15 July 2007 - 05:40 PM.