Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After Outerinfo removal Guardian software doesn't work

• Please log in to reply

Xerraire

Xerraire

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi

I found this site looking for Outerinfo removal and found this topic » http://www.geekstogo...IN-t134763.html

Those steps were very helpful in removing those issues from my daughter's laptop. So thank you very much.

I do seem to have a follow-up issue now.
Because my daugher is so very young, I installed Guardian software on her PC and it used to send me reports of her activity. Since this spyware removal, I cannot get this to function again. (Here is the link to Guardian so you can know what it is » http://www.guardians...om/monitor.html )

Since I had problems, this is what I have done to try and restore the software to work:

1. I ran the HostExpert step
2. I disabled the AVG to see if that helped.
3. I was able to go into the software and try to reset things.

I am now out of my own ideas and thought to come here and ask.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Barb

Advertisements

Noviciate

Noviciate

Confused Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,567 posts
It's possible that a false-positive has killed one or more of the files that were needed to make the program work. The first thing i'd try is to uninstall and reinstall the program and see if that solves the issue.

Xerraire

Xerraire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for that suggestion..

I carefully tried it, but still it doesn't work.

Any other suggestions to try?

Noviciate

Noviciate

Confused Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,567 posts
You could try System Restore. This could be a bit drastic as it will rewind your PC back to a time before you dabbled with Outerinfo. Not only will it replace the infection, it will also undo any system changes you have made to the PC from that point on - you'll need to update your anti-virus again, for example. Outerinfo doesn't take much work to remove, so this isn't an issue. A tutorial for System Restore is available here.
If it doesn't fix the issue, you can always undo the Restore and be back up-to-date.

Xerraire

Xerraire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there

Unfortunately, her computer wouldn't allow me to do a system restore, not even in safe mode. Each time I get a System restore incomplete, no changes were made.

I am really unsure what to do now.

Noviciate

Noviciate

Confused Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,567 posts
http://www.guardians...om/support.html - "At Guardian® Software we believe that you, our customer, is the number one priority."
Let them prove it to you.

Xerraire

Xerraire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Actually, after a review, that might be unfair to them just yet. (not that they have supplied a lot of support to me in the past).

if the laptop doesn't wish to do a system restore, I feel there still might be issues.
In fact, on another look, there is a definate list of spyware returned and some new ones.
Should I put them in a new post?

Noviciate

Noviciate

Confused Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,567 posts
If you've got a malware problem, start a new thread and post a HJT log and someone will be along shortly to help.
I'm eight emails notifications in and I haven't reached halfway yet, so i'm a little busy to pick up another infected PC at the minute.