Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Two Windows XP problems

• Please log in to reply

Gylfie

Gylfie

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My first problem is when I go to play either Final Fantasy XI or World of Warcraft, after some time my computer will lock up and I will be forced to restart, I have gone to their support forums and received no help. My computer does meet the requirements for both games, and my drivers are completely up to date.

My other problem is that when I go to www.awakenedlands.com, after logging in, if I try to click on links there I get what is most commonly referred to as the "blue screen of death". The error I get there is "STOP: 0x0000008e", and it begins dumping the physical memory. I've done some research on these and have found nothing of relevance to my problem.

Thank you, and please help, I'm about to play a hardcore game of baseball with my computer.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You may have some bad RAM modules installed, because this often leads to BSODs with the STOP:0x0000008e error, and could also explain you problem with the PC locking up. You can download 'memtest' to test the RAM, from here: http://hcidesign.com/memtest/

Alternatively your PC could be overheating after it's been on for while, especially as running some games is both taxing on the CPU and RAM, both of which will then generate more heat. You ought to disconnect the PC from the mains, remove the side panel furthest away from the motherboard and see what dust has accumulated inside it and around the fan-outlets/inlets. It's very likely you'll see a thick layer of grime and dust and it's this which is not allowing the hot air to escape or the incoming colder air to circulate properly to cool things down. There's a good tutorial here on how to safely clean inside it: http://www.cnet.com....40055521,00.htm

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

Gylfie

Gylfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry about the delay on the response, I had some things to attend to. Here is the screenshot of the Everest Home
Posted Image

And here is a screenshot of the MemTest memory error that I got
Posted Image

If it is a overheating problem, then I would imagine I would need to get a new fan, the inside of my computer is disgusting. I decided I was going to do a home clean up job on my fan, before my CPU would be at 100 F+ at all times, but after taking chunks of disgusting....stuff, it now runs a little cooler, but my computer doesn't seem to be all that hot when I restart, its usually under 100 now. Despite any errors, I do plan on getting it professionally cleaned out, because guide or not, I don't trust myself enough, thanks for that link though, greatly appreciated.

Edit: after clicking 'ok' several times, I've found that there are 14 errors with my memory, and its still not done testing, I'll let it run over night and just hope that it doesn't get interrupted by another error. I'll post the progress in the morning

Edited by Gylfie, 12 July 2007 - 11:29 PM.

Gylfie

Gylfie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
After a long time of holding down enter, I stopped because it got rather boring, but I have discovered that this would most likely be a memory problem, as it wasn't done scanning and it has 2543 errors. Although I would imagine I need a new fan too. Thanks for the help, anything more is appretiated

Edited by Gylfie, 13 July 2007 - 08:20 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...replace your memory...as for cleaning out your computer..go to a store and buy a can of compressed air and use it to blow out your case...you can also use q-tips...just have the case unplugged from the wall first..
100 F is just fine...also you don't need a new fan...just clean it up with q-tips

Edited by happyrck, 13 July 2007 - 08:42 AM.