Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot login to Safe Mode XP PRO

• Please log in to reply

littlepaws

littlepaws

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
Cannot login to Safe Mode XP PRO.

I can Login to normal mode successfully and see the desktop.
However I need to ran some secuirty scans in Safe Mode.
The welcome Login screen appears and I can Login
The Restore Message appears and I either close it, click yes or click no
Then Nothing Happens just a blank screen with mouse cursor moving and the safe mode writing in the corners.
I can bring up the task Manager

But it just will not login into the desktop, I have tried all users including the Administrator, also system restore will not work.

Any Ideas ?

Thanks In advance

Advertisements

SamBeMad

SamBeMad

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Now sorry to disappoint but something like that happened to me too and I had to wipeout/re-format my whole drive before re-installing windows. (Shudder) Not a pleasant experience, so I'll add my plea for help or a redirection to help would be nice too!

Thanks!

littlepaws

littlepaws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
THe system is working fine apart from a few popups, which I need to remove via safe mode.

Reformatting is not an option, It must be something silly, or an easy fix

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
have you tried launching the process "explorer.exe" from the task manager when in safe mode? This is evidently not running which is why you only see a blank screen with just the words 'safe mode' in the corners. Open task manager, click on File->New Task. type "explorer.exe" (without quotes) then click the OK button.

littlepaws

littlepaws

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Tried Exploer.exe via run command but just goes back to blank screen ?

Ok resolved it using smitfraudfix via the run command.

I dont no if this is related but now Norton 360 now flagged up trojan.vundo trogan every now and then ?

I been into safe mode now and done the following:

Enabled Hidden files and folders etc

1) Clean Java cache
2) Clean Temp files
3) Clean Temporary Internet files

Done for every user and all system32>config files

1) Ran AVG Anti-spyware (removed cookie threats)
2) Ran Norton trojan.vundo removal tool (did not find trojan)
3) Ran Smitfraudfix (Fixed my orginal problem and popups)
4) Ran Vundofix (found and removed vundo threats )

All in Safe mode removed all known threats using the above software.

Norton 360 says it found trojan.vundo in normal mode and attempted repair.

THanks in advance for any suggestions, I have spoken with Norton and had no success ?

Edited by littlepaws, 13 July 2007 - 10:35 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..