Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible virus-related problems?

• Please log in to reply

eternal_sunshine

eternal_sunshine

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently had my system infected with the Dr Watson Postmortem Virus (and was able to get rid of it, mostly, because of this site...so thanks!) but a few lingering problems still remain...

When I start the computer, it takes FOREVER to load up. Once everything is up and running, it won't let me "drag and drop" any of my folders/icons on the desktop - and whenever I try and click on the Phone/Modem Settings in the Control Panel, it won't let me open it (I get an error message). In addition, it won't let me add any network connections manually (I get a 711 Error Message). It proceeds to tell me something about the "configuration of the computer" not allowing this action to take place. So, basically, I can't get on the internet through dial-up in any way, and can't even seem to access the modem or modem settings. I'm clearly having some serious connection/modem issues, but I can't even get into that part of the set-up to try and fix any of them. It also won't allow me to use any "Search" options, in any menu or screen.

I'm at work now, which is the only way I have access to the internet...but I'm looking for advice/tips to try when I get home later tonight.

I've been at this for days, and I'm insanely frustrated. Can anybody help?
(I'll post Hijack This logs tomorrow, if they will help, but they continually come up clean lately...)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start > run

type

eventvwr.msc

Look in SYSTEM and APPLICATIONS for big red Xs that occur at about the time of these errors. Report back.

It sounds like you may have missed something

If you could report the modem error message, that would be useful, but it should be in the system log above

More info on "configuration of the computer: would be userful too