Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows (Setup) multiboot problem

• Please log in to reply

rdino

rdino

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello to anyone reading this. I seem to be experiencing a problem whose solution dwells outside my range of knowledge. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

It all started when i tried upgrading my Windows XP Professional. After the "dynamic update" step, a notification screen told me that i was missing a file called "af0ugmvs.sys". I (foolishly) opted to skip the file and continue with the setup. The computer restarted to a multiboot screen with the options "Windows XP" and "Windows XP (setup)" with the default at the latter. Now, the computer shows the multiboot screen every time.

I really hope that someone can help me with this problem. I also apologize if i'm not clear with my description of the problem.

Thank you.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi rdino...

Couple of questions for you.

Did the upgrade ever complete successfully?

What operating system are you currently running? XP Home or XP Pro?

wannabe1

rdino

rdino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No, the update did not complete. Upon restart, it just notified me again that af0ugmvs.sys was missing nad it didn't go any further than that. I'm running XP Professional, by the way.

Thank you.

rdino

rdino

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello. I would like to inform you that i've fixed the problem. I edited boot.ini (after creating a backup) and that seemed to sort everything out.
Anyway, thanks for your attention. :whistling: