Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard not working but hear clicking in computer

• Please log in to reply

Kimmer62

Kimmer62

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I am trying to work on my sons computer. When I turned it on today, I used the mouse to manuver around. However when I went to type something in, nothing happened on the screen but I could hear it clicking with each keystroke. THe top row of the buttons onthe keyboard appear to be working.

This is for an HP PAvillion a210e and the HP keyboard.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and that hasn't works. THe computer says it recgnized the keyboard, but no letters... HELP!!! :whistling:

THanks...

Kim

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
May be a faulty keyboard so try a replacement -- basic ones are not expensive and it doesn't have to be an HP one, any make of keyboard will work, you just plug it in and start up your PC and it's detected automatically. No messing with drivers for it or anything else. You just need to check that any keyboard you buy has the same connector as your HP one -- it will either be a PS2 connector (round) or USB (flat).

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
pip22 is right but you could try and turn the keyboard over and hit it on the table (not to hard) I helps sometime and also gets most of the dirt/crumbs out of it

Kimmer62

Kimmer62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
"May be a faulty keyboard so try a replacement -- basic ones are not expensive and it doesn't have to be an HP one, any make of keyboard will work, you just plug it in and start up your PC and it's detected automatically. No messing with drivers for it or anything else. "

I did try this but it didn't recognize there was a new keyboard on. I have actually tried 3 different keyboards (I know at least 2 of them work!!) :blink: they all had the same plugs.. ps2

I have also cleaned the keyboard carefully and gotten as much stuff out of it as I can... I am a bit worried if I turn it over and hit it I may get great pleasure out of it!! :whistling:

I am thinking about searching for the windows/HP installation CD to see if I can reinstall the keyboard.

kim

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
When you change the keybord did you reset the computer each time?

Did you'r son have a problem with the keyboard?

I don't think that it is possible to reinstall the keyboard on windows it is recognized automaticly. It is recognized first by the bios.
When the computer boots do the light on the top right on the keeboard light up at all? can you enter the bios?

Kimmer62

Kimmer62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
When you change the keybord did you reset the computer each time? -
Yes I did reset the computer

Did you'r son have a problem with the keyboard? - I don't think so ... He is a camp so I cannot ask him
I don't think that it is possible to reinstall the keyboard on windows it is recognized automaticly. It is recognized first by the bios.
When the computer boots do the light on the top right on the keeboard light up at all? can you enter the bios?

THe lights do turn on and flash and look normal... THe num lock stays on and I Cannot turn the Cap locks on...

I dn't know what the Bios is...

Thanks

Kim

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Next time you try the computer unplug all but the screen ,keyboard and mouse.

The bios is main controller of the motherboard in the computer. When you turn the computer on you get a black screen with writing or a picture of the making of the mother board. When you turn on the computer and get this screen hit the Del button. If it enters the setup you succeeded in to the bios and try to use the arrows.

If it doesn't work you should try a usb keyboard if you haven't tried one yet. The round connection is called PS2
Posted Image
the flat rectangle is called usb.
Posted Image

Kimmer62

Kimmer62

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
THis is now the problem...
The keyboard works in the set up mode... by hitting f1 I can get into setup and use the enter/arrow/tab keys... even the space bar... but once into windows nothing...

I've gotten the keyboard to work up until half way through the windows start up... you can go in and out of number lock for example until half way through the windows start up.