Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Error sensing secondary master hard drive'

• Please log in to reply

iammyid

iammyid

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I merged three Partitions into one C drive. Now every time I boot my computer freezes on the first DELL logo splash screen. I let it sit 5 or 10 minutes one of these times and it eventually went to a blank black screen with a flashing cursor. And eventually said 'error sensing secondary master hard drive' and asked me to push F1 to continue or F2 to system configure. But my keyboard didnt work so I had to reboot.

I can't get into the boot menu nor the system configure. Any advice or suggestions?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
welcome to geekstogo sorry post does not say if there is a second harddrive installed, also how did you delete the partitions and what do you want to do now installing wise

Edited by fleamailman, 16 July 2007 - 02:53 AM.

iammyid

iammyid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My apologies.

I actually have only one hard drive, C, with two extra partitions on it, D and E. I'm running Win XP. I had some problems running a certain program, Pro Tools, and had tried everything else to try to get it to work, so I decided to merge my partitions back into just one hard drive, C. I did this using Symantec Partition Magic. Once I merged the partitions back into C, the program I wanted to work started working. But when I rebooted my computer it ran CHKDISC before loading Windows and got stuck at a certain part, "loading index $0 of 25." So I would reboot and just skip CHKDISC to get into Windows. I rebooted about 10 minutes later and CHKDISC ran again and it went all the way through! I was very excited. The next time I rebooted, however, the computer got stuck at the very first DELL splash screen before Windows even began to load. And now every time I boot it, my computer turns on, goes through the first DELL splash screen, and stop at a blank black screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. I can not type anything. Windows will not load.

I'd like to find out what type of problem it sounds like. If it sounds like a hard drive problem, BIOS, or what. And if there is any way I can fix it. Keep in mind that I can't seem to get into the boot menu (F12) or System configuration (F2) or any type of Windows (F8). I can't boot off my Windows install disc either. Any idea is welcome.

Edited by iammyid, 16 July 2007 - 05:00 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
that flashing white cursor on the top left of that black screen sounds physical more than software I would probably be putting my money on the ram, did you physically displace anything, also before you do the F8 there should be an option to get you into BIOS, does the computer even breifly show you that option,

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
There are two thinks here. first is the fact that you get the blinking cursor.
second based on what you are saying you cant get into the bios. Is this the situation? If you can get into the bios then try and check the boot order and make sure the HD is recognized.

iammyid

iammyid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I had not physically displaced or even opened the case before this began to happen.

I can't get into BIOS.

This morning I let the computer load for a while and the black screen with cursor finally spit this out:

"Drive 4 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-0 (PRI IDE Master)
Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE Slave)
Error auto-sensing secondary master hard disk drive
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility"

Of course, when I push F2 or F1 nothing happens. I only have the one hard drive. It seems that merging the petitions created some problems?

iammyid

iammyid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I had not physically displaced or even opened the case before this began to happen.

I can't get into BIOS.

This morning I let the computer load for a while and the black screen with cursor finally spit this out:

"Drive 4 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-0 (PRI IDE Master)
Drive 5 not found: Parallel ATA, PATA-1 (PRI IDE Slave)
Error auto-sensing secondary master hard disk drive

Of course, when I push F2 or F1 nothing happens. I only have the one hard drive. It seems that merging the petitions created some problems?

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
For startes it does not seem like a hard drive problem to me. It is more like a mother board problem.

Does the computer let out any beeps when you turn it on if it is not a single beep now is the time to say so.

Try and disconnect and the connect the keyboard when the computer is off, and boot again.

If nothing worked till know. You can try to reset the bios though itusually does not solve but at times help. Disconnect the power. Open the computer and take out the battery it is like a silver coin about 1" across. now wait about 5 min and put it back in. Now plug in teh computer and try to boot.
Can you get anyware?

iammyid

iammyid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The computer does not make any beeps.

I took out the battery for 5 min and then put it back in. This is what happened:

"Performing automatic IDE configuration...
Floppy diskette seek failure
Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program
Alert! Previous fan failure.
Alert! System battery voltage is low.

I do not have a floppy disk drive. Both of the keyboards I have plugged into the computer did not work in making it progress any further.

I've since taken out the battery a couple more times and it has never gotten any further than this. It has either stalled at the first DELL splash screen or only got as far as "Performing automatic IDE configuration" but not going any further. I left it running for an hour but it did not progress.

Edited by iammyid, 16 July 2007 - 09:00 PM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
What the computer posted is what we wanted. The message that you were given is that of the bios when you reset it.

Disconnect all connections usb \ printer... and leave only keyboard mouse and monitor. try now to turn on the computer. If you want to change keyboard you need to turn the computer off first.

If this does not work then you can try a usb keyboard. Ask a friend if you cam borrow one before you purchase one to save if it does not work.

Advertisements

iammyid

iammyid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Wow. So I unplugged everything except for a USB keyboard and rebooted. I finally was able to push F2 to run SETUP utility (BIOS). I looked at the boot sequence and saw that the computer wasn't recognizing any hard drive. So I shut down the computer, pulled out the battery for 10 min, and rebooted. This time when I got into SETUP utility, the boot sequence listed both my DVD drive and my HD as being recognized. I exited SETUP and Windows started loading! I logged into my account in Windows sans mouse, and a lot of "New Hardware Found" dialog boxes came up. I prompted Windows to restart my computer. On the reboot, it froze at the first DELL splash screen. I rebooted again with every unplugged from the computer except monitor and keyboard, and I was able to choose F2 or F1 and log into Windows.

Now I can get into Windows!

Vally, you've been such a great help and resource so far.

Now, what do I need to do to stop my computer from freezing at the first DELL splash screen? I'm not sure taking out the battery or keeping things unplugged every time I need to use the computer is gonna work for very long. :whistling:

Edited by iammyid, 18 July 2007 - 04:20 AM.

iammyid

iammyid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
To clarify:

Every time I boot my computer now with only the monitor, USB keyboard, and USB mouse plugged in, this is the message I get:

"Floppy diskette seek failure

If I push F1, Windows loads and I can log into my account like normal. If I push F2, it takes me to system utility, or what I figure to be BIOS (I must admit, I'm not technically proficient in this stuff, obviously). This is where it lists my system info, the boot sequence, IDE drives, and that stuff.

Now, how to kill this floppy diskette seek failure.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
I'm glad :whistling: we got this far.

Now enter the bios - hit F2. Use the arrows to get around go to the advanced tab. There should be something like diskette configuration (or something like that). In there set it to none\disable. Hit esc to go back to main menu and there choose save configuration and exit or hit F10 and yes.

About the different usb devices try each time to connect one more device and see if it boots or not. This way we can hopefully discover the problematic device.

iammyid

iammyid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok, I got rid of the diskette failure by changing it in the BIOS.

The problematic device was the Microsoft Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard. It had run fine for 1+ years. Not sure what happened. I guess I'll have to buy a new wireless setup.

Once again, thanks for the help vally. :whistling:

Edited by iammyid, 18 July 2007 - 04:20 AM.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
:whistling: No problem

Try changing the battery in the mouse and keyboard they don't even last 2 yr'