Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The moment we have all been waiting for....

• Please log in to reply

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
http://www.anandtech...l...?i=3038&p=1
The article here will show the pricing for both Intel and AMD processors starting next week. If you are about to buy, I strongly advise you wait, savings could range up to the hundreds depending on what your planning to buy.
James

Edit: This page shows that 1333vs. 1066 won't be worth have much performance increase.
http://www.tomshardw...2007/page8.html

Edited by james_8970, 16 July 2007 - 07:13 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is a nice article. It looks like Intel is making the Pentium D mistake with these new quads. Five out of the six games they compared the E6850 to the Q6600 was one by the dual core but for obvious reasons. I'm personally going to avoid them. I'm building a computer for my friend in a couple weeks and i think I'm sold on the E6650.

Thanks for the update James.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Np, till we see applications utilize the extra 2 cores there really isn't anything appealing to them. But always remember, you can always overclock for more clock speed, but you can't add more cores. So potentially as the processor will get older it will get faster as applications begin to utilize all for cores, but at the moment there are still many programs that don't fully utilize 2.
James

Joker1337

Joker1337

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Nice...I'm almost convinced to come back from the dark side and buy an Intel on the upgrade...almost. Anyone know a good site on what the Phenom's specs/benchmarks are?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
We won't be seeing anything from Phenom anytime soon, it's based on the Barcelona (server core) which we will be seeing around the end of the summer. As for Phenom we probably won't be seeing it till Q1 2008, late Q4 2007 at the very earliest, but I'm not expecting it that soon as AMD tends to delay everything lately. There currently is a NDA on the chip and no motherboards can run it to it's full potential (still working on a chipset, AM3), so don't expect the NDA so lift any time soon. Expect what we saw from AMD when the 2900XT was released, no information regarding the card till a week before launch.
James

Edited by james_8970, 16 July 2007 - 07:07 PM.