Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AWARD Bios Case Open Status?

• Please log in to reply

njantman

njantman

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Trying to track down what is causing a random boot up failure (desktop seems to power up but no video signal, problem goes away after unplugging and or tripping PSU switch several times).

Sorting through the AWARD Bios settings I find in the PC Health Menu "Reset Case Open Status". Of course the motherbaord manual offers no explanation other than default selection is "disable", I cannot find an explanation from AWARD Bios, nor one from the case manufacturer.

What is Case Open Status and how is it used?

System Specs:
CPU: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 X2 3600+ Dual-Core
MEMORY: 1GB (2x512MB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-M55SLI-S4 nForce4 SLI Chipset DDR2/800 SATA 16x PCI-Express MBoard w/GbLAN,IEEE1394,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
CASE: CoolerMaster Stacker 830 Tower
POWERSUPPLY: Apevia 680W BEAST POWER ATX Power Supply
FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK + 3 EXTRA CASE FANS
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS 512MB PCI Express x16
HDD: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
16X DVD RW
16X DVD ROM
LeadTek WinFast 2000 XP Capture Card
INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the "case open status" (if memory serves correct) is intrusion detection...this can be used on computers that have a compatible case architecture to stop people from getting inside your computer...basically there would be a switch or a relay somewhere in the case...and if you open up the side of the case it would "trip an alarm" with the system...so the next time the system boots it would somehow alert you that the case was opened...or possibly not even boot after the case was opened for a certain period of time or untill a condition was met

i haven't seen any home machnes that actually use this function

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Just wanted to add that the two Gigabyte boards I have personally worked with included that function. Load your fail-safe defaults in your BIOS and see if you are still having problems.

Edited by Titan8990, 16 July 2007 - 01:47 PM.