Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP, 2000, 2003, NT

• Please log in to reply

MorganaD

MorganaD

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,
I allowed the system to create a new Windows copy. It said that I would not lose my installed programs or files. When it asked me to logon it gave me two choices, the old Windows under C drive or the newly installed one. I tried the new one and all my files were gone. My installed programs were there but not able to be run, because I suppose the installation was in the old Windows Registry.

I tried logging on to the old C: Windows copy and it asked for my administration password. I entered it and it said it was invalid. Since that number is written in a book and has worked before, I don't understand. I tried several times to no avail.

Anybody know how to get around that? If I can't get in somehow, I will have to let the old stuff go I guess but what do I do about the two copies of Windows. I think the new one was just to get the old one going, since it doesn't seem to have registry or anything on it.
Thanks,
Morgana

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you log in to the new one as an administrator?

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP?

When you access a file or a folder in your system, you may receive an error "Access Denied", which indicates that you don't have permissions to access that folder or the file. The error is seen is after you reinstall Windows XP and try to access your old profile. If you are an Administrator (or Administrator-level User account) and want to access the contents of the folder, you can take ownership of the folder or file.

You must be logged on to the computer with an account which has administrative privileges.

If you use XP Home Edition, start the computer in safe mode and log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

For XP Professional, you need to disable Simple File Sharing in order to see the Security tab.

To disable simple file sharing:

Click Start, click My Computer.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, click the View tab.

In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box. Click OK.

To take ownership of a folder:

Right click the folder you want to take ownership of, then click properties.

Click the Security tab and click OK on the security message, (if one appears).

Click Advanced, click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.

Click OK, then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

where folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

Click OK then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

To take ownership of a file:

Right click the file you want to take ownership of, then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

Click Advanced, click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file.

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Do you have a backup of your system? It would be good.
If no, then try to back the system to the system restore point (if it is possible).
Or press F8 on boot and select smth like "boot the last successful or working version" (sorry, but I don't exactly remember).
And for the future: before doing operations with the system make a backup (for example with True Image).

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Is this a continuation from http://www.geekstogo...02-t164312.html?

Was following the other one. LOL This one came in as new on email.

Ron

MorganaD

MorganaD

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello Major Payne and everyone,
I logged in as per your instructions and got to the administrator folder, however when I right click, that option of choosing the option of gaining full control does not exist. I have an HP Pavillion. I did get into Security though and ensure that the option of having full control was on the one Administrator account, but the old original Administrator account will not let me do anything. Can't make any progress with it at all. Is there any way I can clear that Admin #? I have the password written in my book and it has always worked before. Could it have been eliminated with the virus, possibly taken over with some hacker's password?

I spent hours going through it all trying to get it to work, and I am getting very frustrated at this point.
Would a technician even be able to get into it?

As for the person who suggested rolling back the time in systems restore, I can't get into control panel of the original windows, not having the admin password anymore.

Any ideas are fully appreciated.
Thanks,
Morgana

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Hello Major Payne and everyone,
I logged in as per your instructions and got to the administrator folder, however when I right click, that option of choosing the option of gaining full control does not exist.
Any ideas are fully appreciated.
Thanks,
Morgana

Did you boot into Safe mode as Keith mentioned in his post? Please follow his advice precisely.

Ron