Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot Boot XP from CD

• Please log in to reply

mrtypr

mrtypr

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Hi ,

Im trying to reformat my pc, and i cannot boot it from the CD. I do press a key when it tells me to and it starts normally

I have tried adjusting the BIOS to make the CDROM boot first. Didnt fix it? What else should i try?

Also i reset to default settings in the BIOS. Then discovered everytime i shut the computer down or press the power buttong to turn it off. It would just keep resetting. I couldnt even turn off my pc. I had to unplug it :S

can anyone help with these problems..

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what kind of keyboard do you have? usb or PS/2?

the other issue (no matter what the PC restarts) could be a PSU issue

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Im using a USB keyboard, Iys a G15 gaming keyboard

I fixed the restarting problem, just the booting from XP CD problem remains

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If your computer won't hold its BIOS settings you might want to check out the CMOS battery. That sort of sounds like your problem.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try booting with a PS2 keyboard instead of the USB one.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
OK, i tryed it with a PS/2 connection and it worked. I was able to go to the setup screen

Edited by mrtypr, 18 July 2007 - 03:04 AM.

mrtypr

mrtypr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Ok, now another problem, I hit enter to "set up windows" It cannot detect a hard drive. Ive tried getting into the BIOS and i see that the Master is set to None. I let it auto detect a hard drive but it does not detect anything.

I can get the BIOS to set the Hard drive to Master. Which is what i think is the problem why the windows set up cannot detect a Hard drive.

But the thing is, this is not a new computer, i have been using this for a while now with no hard drive problems. I dont know why the BIOS and or the Windows setup cannot detect a hard drive..

Please help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
is it a SATA drive...if so you will have to press F6 during the setup and use the floppy drive to install the SATA drivers for windows to "see" the drive...