Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running computer in DMZ mode

• Please log in to reply

googlymoogly

googlymoogly

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi all I reached a limit of 20 rules on my crappy actiontec modem for port forwarding so I decided to be careless and go on the DMZ with my computer. I have zone alarm set to HIGH for internet zone, GRC.com gave me a pass for security with the firewall on.

Which brings me to my question... I came back from downloading overnight, and tried to click firefox and it said something about insertion point not found. Then I tried to shut down and it seemed sluggish as well and eventually I had to hit the physical restart button.

So my question, yes. Is my computer compromised by being on the DMZ even if I have my zonealarm firewall set to high?

EDIT: Note that no new processes are running in taskmon, but I was still wondering if it's possible to be tampered with.

Edited by googlymoogly, 17 July 2007 - 01:13 PM.

Advertisements

googlymoogly

googlymoogly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
BUMP AND UPDATE:

After again leaving computer on all night, I came back to see that the zone alarm icon in systray has an x thru it and says true vector service is shut down. I don't get it.>...