Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB HDD

• Please log in to reply

kzov

kzov

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello, first timer to this forums :whistling:

I've stuck a HDD in an inclosure and its connected to my laptop via USB. I'm trying to install windows XP on it and it tells me that it cannot access the drive because it doesnt have permission to do it. Er something like that. It wont install XP on it either way lol. Any ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
99% of the time you cannot install XP on an external drive...there are very few motherboards that will allow it...and even with the ones that claim to be able to do such a thing...it's still hit or miss...

what exactly are you trying to do?

kzov

kzov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Trying to install XP on an external.. lol.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not gonna happen

kzov

kzov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I was afraid of that...

S.M.A.R.T has detected something or another and the drive is gonna catch fire or something crazy like that and
i dont have another 2.5in hdd laying around to stuff in there so I was trying to use an external to do it

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...even if you were able to magically get XP on that drive...it wouldn't boot for your laptop...just not gonna happen...you can however use the drive to back up any important data...like music, movies, photos, etc..

kzov

kzov

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Yeah, that seems to be the general concensus... :/

thanks for the help, though